nfer testing in KS2

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

nfer testing in KS2

Post by fatbananas »

My DC has been tested this week by NFER. I've only ever heard about NFER from the point of view of 11+. Can anyone tell me what NFER are testing at year 3? And how reliable are the scores for future performance, say, at 11+.

Many thanks :?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scary mum

Re: nfer testing in KS2

Post by scary mum »

They will be CATs (Cognitive Ability Tests) - do a search on here for CATs and you will find lots about them as well as links to the Nfer site for more information about them. I don't think they are directly comparable to the 11 plus, but will give you an idea. They are usually VR, NVR and quantitative tests.
scary mum
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for replying so promptly ScaryMum. Will search now! :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I've just read through the first four pages of info on CATs but I'm still not clear if they are the same as the NFER testing because it only refers to being tested in years 5 and 6 but my DC is in year 3. Could it be the same thing?

If it is the same thing, do people know whether scores can dramatically improve between years 3 and 6? Also, does NFER just test VR, NVR and mathematical reasoning (I think that last was mentioned?)? I was told there would be ranking within sets as a result of these tests.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

There are other Nfer tests too. http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/search.a ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ink our school does them in years 3,4,5,6. My daughters went up from VR 119 in year 3 through the 120s to 141 (max score!) in year 7, 6 months after not achieving a high enough score in the Bucks 11plus.
scary mum
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

How galling, Scary Mum! But, also encouraging, iyswim! I have no idea how DS will perform in these tests and it all seems to matter more now they're in year 3. But, at the same time, it makes me cross that I feel like that because I think they're still so young and have some years before the 11+. Perhaps it's the living in a 'super selective' area that makes me feel like that :roll:

Anyway, I suppose we'll learn more in two weeks or so (by which I mean, I will have more information and probably a whole load more questions :roll: :lol: !)

Thanks for responding, Scary Mum and Mitasol.