Best way to cook octopus

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

UmSusu

Best way to cook octopus

Post by UmSusu »

Any suggestions on the best way to cook octopus? Sent DH to get 'shopping' yesterday and he came back with two of them - I sent him for tomatoes :shock:

Was thinking could fry, or in spicy tomato sauce with herbs. Any ideas? (But none with alcohol in sauce please). Oh and guess what: he didn't get the tomatoes :evil:
UmSusu
harlequin

Re: Best way to cook octopus

Post by harlequin »

UmSusu wrote:Any suggestions on the best way to cook octopus? Sent DH to get 'shopping' yesterday and he came back with two of them - I sent him for tomatoes :shock:

Was thinking could fry, or in spicy tomato sauce with herbs. Any ideas? (But none with alcohol in sauce please). Oh and guess what: he didn't get the tomatoes :evil:
Hi

I have recently discovered and tried out some lovely dishes that can be cooked using a slow cooker.
I have found a recipe in this cookbook, with the dish being cooked slowly in the traditional Greek way with herbs and tomatoes. It is for squid but it does say you can substitute this for a medium octopus instead. Although this particular recipe uses a little red wine, you could omit this.

Harlequin
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks Harlequin :D .

I opted for tomato and herb sauce - I don't have the patience for slow cookers though so it is in the casserole as we speak. It seems to be just like squid only a bit tougher.

I don't know how it will turn out but they will have to eat it however it turns out.
UmSusu
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

UmSusu wrote:Thanks Harlequin :D .

I opted for tomato and herb sauce - I don't have the patience for slow cookers though so it is in the casserole as we speak. It seems to be just like squid only a bit tougher.

I don't know how it will turn out but they will have to eat it however it turns out.
I'm sure it will turn out just fine! :)

Just made a chicken curry (in my slow cooker) tonight and got lots of compliments from my DH & daughter - somehow don't think there will be many leftovers!

Harlequin
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

UmSusu wrote:Any suggestions on the best way to cook octopus? Sent DH to get 'shopping' yesterday and he came back with two of them - I sent him for tomatoes :shock:

I bow to your superior serenity, umSusu. If my DH appeared with two octopi when I had sent him out for tomatoes I think the whole neighbourhood would have known about it within seconds ...
... and my DS2 would be on to Childline if I made him eat it, no matter how well I cooked it!

You must tell us the outcome! :lol:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Sally-Anne, I have got used to these stunts over the years :roll: - I asked him to get fish from the market once and he came back not with a bagful but a box of sea bass. I had to invite all my family around and send a tray to the neighbours, even then we were left over with fish the next day. I was pregnant at the time and IIRC, that was definitely not a very serene week.

As for the octopus, I am pleased to say it was a success: DH and 3 out of the 4 kids gave it a thumbs up - but I had to use canned tomatoes as he never made it back with the fresh ones.
UmSusu
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

UmSusu wrote:Sally-Anne, I have got used to these stunts over the years :roll: - I asked him to get fish from the market once and he came back not with a bagful but a box of sea bass. I had to invite all my family around and send a tray to the neighbours, even then we were left over with fish the next day. I was pregnant at the time and IIRC, that was definitely not a very serene week.
Utterly hilarious! :lol: :lol: I do wonder about DH's shopping choices on occasions, but two octopi instead of tomatoes, and a box of sea bass is just wonderful! (I would have loved the sea bass, although a whole box might have defeated me.)
As for the octopus, I am pleased to say it was a success: DH and 3 out of the 4 kids gave it a thumbs up - but I had to use canned tomatoes as he never made it back with the fresh ones.
Anyone who can turn octopus into something edible is a star in my book. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now