One month left......what are your plans to keep busy?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kit

One month left......what are your plans to keep busy?

Post by Kit »

After going through the 11+ process with 3 children over the last 5 years I'm on the final lap before it is all over forever but time seems to be going slower and slower in the run up to 1 March.

So I've decided to set a couple of goals to make it go faster and have at least something to be cheerful about in case the news isn't good!

My plans by 1 March:
(1. Work out how to do a countdown ticker and add it on here- it's a start!)Done

2. Lose 10 lbs

3. Finish ALL of the ironing mountain and re-organise kids wardrobes/ clothes

4. Book a holiday somewhere that speaks French (ok- it will probably be France, but I'm going to try and look into a different alternative as well).

How about you?
ahap

Re: One month left......what are your plans to keep busy?

Post by ahap »

I don't do anything than gaze at the 11+ forum to keep me busy till March 1st.....oh ....I am so exhausted..........but I keep looking at it. :( so sad, and this is my first experience, I don't know how you did it. I have another one to go....deep breaths.........sorry, I don't think I am helping you.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm not in the waiting game this year I can't join you.

However, for a French speaking country, why not go to Canada?
hopefulmum2

Post by hopefulmum2 »

I know what you mean - I feel myself counting days - and from thinking we could be okay to how we would cope if she doesn't pass - trying to convince myself she will do well wherever she goes - but how devastated she will be if she doesn't pass. As we plan dates for various things I am thinking ...that will be post 1 March and we will know.. or that's before.... not sure what difference it makes... maybe I am thinking, subconciously, what state she will be in depending on the outcome. And I have two children to go after this!
vasu

Post by vasu »

The wait is excruciating and top it all, everyone we know(or remotely know) asks us, "when are the results coming out"!!!! Some people ask the same question bi-weekly!!!! :x . And everyone says the same thing,"even if he does not get through.....at least he tried!!! :shock: " Whaaat!!! Wait for first of March to make your kind statements.
I love your list, Kit but this is what I will end up doing-
1. Gaining 10lbs, with all "anxiety related eating" :lol:
2. Buying more clothes so more messed up wardrobe 'cause of "Anxiety related retail therapy" :oops:
3. Not booking holiday cause I will spend all my time going through EPE hoping it is a crystal ball which shows the future....
I am officially loosing it Folks!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Just wait until the Big Day..you will feel as if every nerve in your body is fizzing and your legs will be so weak you may just need a wheelbarrow and kind, strong friend to get around .Or was that just me. :oops:
Kit

Post by Kit »

:lol: !!

I've already beaten to you gaining 10lbs with the stress-related eating though- mine was in the run-up to test time in November!

I'd like to reassure ahap and hopeful mum that it gets better with subsequent children.....but I'm afraid I'm actually far, far worse with no. 3 than either of the other two. I think it's because everyone keeps telling me that no.3 will be a shoo-in (no such thing for a super-selective) or the sibling policy will work in our favour (there isn't one) and no.3 is super-desperate to join DC 1 and 2 and whatever I say to talk up the other non-grammar schools and how amazing she is makes no difference :cry: .

I just ate 2 rounds of hot buttered marmite toast to console myself.

Back to browsing holidays- Canada looks beautiful PC.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Sorry Scarlett- not you about the 10lbs- I meant vasu. I'm sure you are super-slim!!

My DC and her class have an all day drama/ singing workshop at another school on March 1st- it doesn't finish until 7.15pm, but we go and watch them perform at 6.00pm so i haven't even worked out how/ when I'm going to tell her yet. I will have to wait until after 7.15pm but she'll know I already know all through their performance.....

Our local council have no idea what time our e-mails will be sent on 1 March- I phoned up but they just said "sometime throughout the day"- very helpful!!

Oh dear, I sound like I'm getting a bit neurotic about this...
Kit

Post by Kit »

Sorry vasu- I'm sure you are super slim too as I just realsied you're planning to gain the 10lbs but haven't yet...... :wink:

It's just me who needs a post- 11+ diet and fitness regime at the moment!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Kit...your DD will be looking at you for clues ! Don't smile too much but don't look too glum ! At least you'll have something to watch to keep your mind off it...but then again if she gets in the emotion will overtake you and you'll be blubbering like a trooper during the performance :lol:

I know what you mean re subsequent children. DS2 will be taking his in September and is desperate to go to DS1 school ...such pressure ! My next one is a girl so won't want to go to the same school :P but always likes to go one better then her brothers so that's going to be stressful too. Aaargh !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now