Outside Catchment Area Advice Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Paprika

Outside Catchment Area Advice Please

Post by Paprika »

Ideally my little one will take the entrance exams for Sale, Loreto, AGGS and one other. Unfortunately we aren't in the catchment area for any of these schools.

If in the best case scenario she comes through all the exams with flying colours what bearing is being outside the catchment area likely to have on her chances of being offered a place ?
jugglermum

Re: Outside Catchment Area Advice Please

Post by jugglermum »

Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Based on this years postings from one member she said that no one got into AGGS out of catchment the year before. I don't think Sale offers to miles out as they generally fill up from their own.

Loreto, unlikley to get in as a Non Catholic, I know of one Catholic from out of area near us who didn't get a place whilst all her school friends did, as out of area.

Urmston offer 20? places to the highest scores, I believe but don't need to offer to far out of catchment to fill up. You might have a better chance with Stretford.

Would suggest you contact the admissions officers at each school.

Where do you live, AGGS has an eight mile boundary you know, so goes quite far out?
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paprika

Post by Paprika »

Thanks for the replies, they were very informative.

She is a baptized catholic and we live in Old Trafford, 7.7 miles from AGGS according to Google maps so perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for Loreto and AGGS

She's really creative and keen on art and has her heart set on Sale as they seem to have a great art department. Having read their admissions policy now it does seem as though they lean heavily towards catchment area kids.

I realise I may be treading on eggshells by mentioning it and I apologize if anybody is offended by this rather unethical suggestion but does anyone know if the oft reported "pushy parent" tactic of renting a house in the catchment area while the admissions process is ongoing actually pay off ?
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi
Check out the admissions section of Trafford education to see what they use for measuring distance, I know it's not google and might bring you a bit closer:))

If you remain within the catchment then you would be probably ok with a bare pass for AGGS. For Loreto the highest scores get in ooc- this only changed last year used to be distance. At our primary this resulted in all girls that passed getting a place with the exception of one- bit harsh really. Lots of Loreto girls one the tram everyday!

Good luck xx
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Just had a quick look in the Trafford admissions leaflet it does explain how they measure distance for AGGS forgot to look for Loreto. Wish I could link but on iPad and no idea how you do it .
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Note clause 1.8 of the AGGS draft admissions' policy for 2013 entry which aims to stop people moving closer to the school temporarily.

http://www.aggs.trafford.sch.uk/downloa ... -DRAFT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatsals

Post by fatsals »

A bare pass on the edge of catchment for AGGS is unlikely to gain a place. The further out you are, the higher the mark needed. The 8 miles is as the crow flies.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now