500 Words - Radio 2

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FluffyD

500 Words - Radio 2

Post by FluffyD »

is anyone getting the DC to enter this as thinly disguised prep?
Vic x
ourmaminhavana

Re: 500 Words - Radio 2

Post by ourmaminhavana »

What is it? Could you post a link please FluffyD?
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/500words/2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, I just assume everyone listens to Radio 2 in them morning :lol:

It's a 500 word writing competition where the child has to write an original story.

Bronze prize - Their height in books
Silver Prize - A presenters height in books - Roughly 5ft 2in
Gold prize - Chris Evans' height in books - 6ft 2in.
Though to be fair, my DS is 10 and already taller than 5ft 2in!!

There are 2 categories, under 9's and 9-13's.

x
Vic x
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks Fluffy that sounds good. :)
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

I am def getting my DS to do this, the only trouble is my 4yr old will want to do one as well!!
Vic x
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I would love my dd to do this, unfortunately she was too old last year, and she's definitely too old this year. A shame because English (specifically writing) really is her 'thing'.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Good info FllufyD. Will definitely get my ds to enter the competition. He loves to write. It will be a good experience. :D
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Last year, my DS sent in a story he'd written for 11+ practice! (He didn't get anywhere).
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Posted in 'Everything else' about this: Found this: http://100wc.net/?page_id=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds interesting but it seems children can only take part if school signs up?

I am struck by the amount of competitions some of the preps I admire seem to enter. The Falcons Girls school in London seems to encourage the girls to enter very many, Daunt Books short story competition (deadline is March I believe if anyone is interested), this 100 word challenge, Radio 2 500 word challenge etc. How do you find out about them all?

Falcons used to show their curriculum on their website with a term by term, year by year breakdown. It was useful and interesting to follow. Do any other prep schools do this? It would be very helpful. They now have a blog ( Y5 & Y6 - Baldworm) http://baldworm.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is available for public to view. The english teacher/s seem unbelievably dedicated and enthusiastic and the teaching methods seem good. Why don't more schools do something like this? I wish ours did.

I noticed that Y2s are using semi-colons in the 100 word challenge, presumably taught at home?

I love the schools ideas of pupil collaboration and getting children to write to deadlines. Lots of great study skills so inculcated early on. If you enter enough writing competitions as a child your chances of success increase dramatically. A win could lead to huge amounts of confidence and ongoing enthusiasm for the child? All good stuff and the composition part of the CE or 11 plus will be like falling off a log...Our Y5s & Y6s will have perhaps one or two school timed 'tests' (which they won't recognise as an important assessment) before they go on to sit any 11 plus exam or similar. When you compare that to a prep the difference is quite startling and the advantages of the prep obvious?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Just a reminder that the deadline for this competition is very close now?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now