Just wondering.......

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FluffyD

Just wondering.......

Post by FluffyD »

I am just wondering, it is so cloak and daggers at the school gates and we are all competition for each others children (obv where we live near each other) so nothing is discussed, yet we are so supportive on here as it is anonymous.

Have you ever discovered that someone you have been supporting on here was a rival at the school gates? :lol:

Just a wonder is all. :wink:
Vic x
scarlett

Re: Just wondering.......

Post by scarlett »

Most parents I know at school ask me how I can possibly sit down and give my children work to do AND mark it when I'm not a teacher myself :shock: and this was a comment when DS1 was 7 not even re 11 plus work ! So I think it's safe to assume no one I know has made it on to here ! Our school isn't very pushy and I think we are all genuinely interested in each other in a non competitive way.

However, there was a parent who went around behind my back slating my unrealistic goal of putting DS1 through the 11 plus when he obviously wasn't going to pass ...so it was a big raspberry to her when my son not only passed but with a better score then hers. Boy, did I feel smug :oops: :lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I think it's quite likely that they are here but unlikely that I'll ever know
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Mmm do you ever wonder who all the " guests " are ??? :shock:
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think it sort of depends on what terms you are with other people. When my brothers son sat the 11+ ,his best friends mother gave huge lists of everything they would need even though he too was in the rat race.

Most people at my daughters school are happy to send their children to the local schools ( last check A*-A grades < 33%. ) even though those may be best suited for them. Only two boys that I know of have gained places at QE in the last 5 years.So it could also be a case of not having anyone to talk to- though I think others on here empathise more!
Last edited by Thingsbehindthesun on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
;D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

On here you can't see the eyes glazing over so it's easy to go on and on ( and on ) :D
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

scarlett wrote:
However, there was a parent who went around behind my back slating my unrealistic goal of putting DS1 through the 11 plus when he obviously wasn't going to pass ...so it was a big raspberry to her when my son not only passed but with a better score then hers. Boy, did I feel smug :oops: :lol:
That really was a horrible thing for her to say- good on your son for shining through! :lol:
;D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It was horrible , wasn't it ? but she had been a bit funny with me from day 1 .. I think the turning point was when she found me crouching behind my car with DS2 and DD and when she asked what I was doing DD piped up that we were hiding from her :oops: :lol:

There is a mother at school whose son is taking the 11 plus with mine and he really is borderline...but his mother is so emotional about it all that I've been giving her tips and helping her out with books , because that's what you'd want in return, isn't it ?
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Thingsbehindthesun wrote:I think it sort of depends on what terms you are with other people. When my brothers son sat the 11+ ,his best friends mother gave huge lists of everything they would need even though he too was in the rat race.
I agree with you here, I do combined prep with a friend of DS's, they do one week with me and the next week with his friend.
Other than that I know that there are a few others that are sitting but no-one else talks about it!

The first rule about the 11+, is that no one talks about the 11+

I do know that one girl is sitting and has had a tutor for years, apparantly is she is not top of the class in literacy she gets very cross and has tantrums :shock: That might be a shock at upper school for her!
scarlett wrote:It was horrible , wasn't it ? but she had been a bit funny with me from day 1 .. I think the turning point was when she found me crouching behind my car with DS2 and DD and when she asked what I was doing DD piped up that we were hiding from her :oops: :lol:

There is a mother at school whose son is taking the 11 plus with mine and he really is borderline...but his mother is so emotional about it all that I've been giving her tips and helping her out with books , because that's what you'd want in return, isn't it ?
haha, so funny, why were you hiding?

And yes, you would want help in return and it is lovely that you are giving it. :D
Last edited by FluffyD on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vic x
vasu

Post by vasu »

[quote="scarlett"]It was horrible , wasn't it ? but she had been a bit funny with me from day 1 .. I think the turning point was when she found me crouching behind my car with DS2 and DD and when she asked what I was doing DD piped up that we were hiding from her :oops: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now