KES- INTERVIEW

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fountain

KES- INTERVIEW

Post by Fountain »

Please could some one who's experienced an interview for KES , give me some tips. My DS has his today just wandered what prep did u do and did u take anything along ? Thankyou
ok1

Re: KES- INTERVIEW

Post by ok1 »

Fountain,

No need to worry, prep or take anything as is was a fairly informal affair on both counts, they do go out of their way to make sure the children are at ease.

Best of luck.
Last edited by ok1 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fountain

Post by Fountain »

hi Ok1 thank you for the advice. Bit confused though
as when we had the call we we told it was a very informal
10-15 min chat . Certainly not asked us to be in any interview.
Oh well just see how it goes. Thank you once again.
ok1

Post by ok1 »

btw I terms of prep I did make my DS go over some typical questions ie hobbies and why he wants to go to KES, but later told that none of these came up. I think they went of on a tangent and confirms how informal it was.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

For us too, it was really informal...
I did prep DS about his hobbies and why he wants to go to KES. That did came up in the conversation, but really, it is really a chat, nothing to worry about. Tell your DS just to be himself, that's all...
ok1 wrote: DS can talk and I think he spent around 40 min, then we were called in and took around 30min, so the whole process lasted just over an hour.

You spent a lot of time there, ok1! Did you have a cup of tea with them? :lol: :lol:
Our encounter has been far more brief! I don't know if it is a bad sign :(
ok1

Post by ok1 »

JaneEyre,

It certainly didn’t feel that long, and unfortunately no cup of tea, due to the timing being so close to lunch, which was probably the reason why it went on a little longer.

Being completely new to the grammar/indie process we had a few general questions that were happily answered, and everyone we met went out of their way to make us feel very relaxed and comfortable.

There was no one waiting when we came out and am sure had there been then they may have sped up the process, so would not use that as a measure to determine success or not, also DS can talk till the cows come home.
poppit

Post by poppit »

Hi there the difference in the timing is nothing to worry about.

'Special' interviews i.e. Scholarship and AP have more time allocated to them. 'Normal' (my word not theirs) interviews take 10 to 15 minutes. We had the latter sort.

The interviewers are good at putting the boys at their ease.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks for reassuring me, ok1 and poppit :wink: I should be able not to have a sleepless night :lol: :lol:
Fountain

Post by Fountain »

Hi Jayneyre, Poppit, and Ok1 thank you to you all.
Well i can officially say Yes its all over!!!!!!!!!!!
My DS had his interview , think i was more nervous ( although
tried not to show it) DS was just so layed back about it. We arrived in plenty
of time. They took us up into the library, to wait. That 15 minute wait felt
15 hrs. Then finally Mrs Philips came to take DS for his interview. Think it was just
over 15 minutes. Then one of the teachers who interviewed brought DS back to us
in the library. Everybody on our journey in and out of the school seemed so welcoming. The Head even came to shake hands.
When i asked DS " so how did it go" he replied " it was ok, " . They did ask about hobbies and why you want to go this school. Basically it just sounded like a general chat, and DS even said they had a laugh too.
Well all i want to say is at least my DS has done with 11+ !!!!!! i still have to do this all over again twice with my younger 2.
However i must thank everyone , OK1, Jayneyre, Poppit, Umsumu, KenR, Mike and any1 else i have not mentioned who gave me appropriate support and advice throught all of this . Thankyou Fountain