Glad I don't live "darn sarf"

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FluffyD

Glad I don't live "darn sarf"

Post by FluffyD »

I cannot believe the competition for Bucks/Berks etc. There are so many more of them on here than there are us Yorkshire folk :wink:

The competition must be horrific with so many applicants per place.
Vic x
faitaccompli

Re: Glad I don't live "darn sarf"

Post by faitaccompli »

Damn - you mean I should have moved up north!!! I do have an office in Hull so it would not have been totally impossible!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Fait!!

Yep could have come and joined us and the sheep!! :lol: :lol:
drummer

Post by drummer »

The Bucks and Berks systems are very different. Bucks is not super selective which I believe places less pressure on pupils and there are more than enough places for the top 25% of Bucks pupils at Bucks grammar schools.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

NOW you tell me!!!!

I work on the University Campus business park - no sheep there at all - well, not of the woolly kind, anyway!!
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

It must just mean that a higher % of Bucks/Berks parents are on here then :wink:

Yes, faitaccompli, it would have only been a sideways step from Hull. I prefer the cows Herman. :P
Vic x
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

But FluffyD, we have a full grammar system in Bucks, so everyone does the 11plus - it is an opt out system rather than opt in, so more or less everyone has an interest in the 11plus, hence so many Bucks EPE-ers. About 30% get a GS place after the tests, appeals etc, so presumably the competition is approximately 3 applicants for one place, which compared to some areas is quite good odds. As a troll on here once told me, it is easy to get a GS place in Bucks - yes, well, tell that to the people going through it - there may be more places available but that doesn't make it any easier for those who don't quite make the cut, but would benefit from a GS education. The mark required in order to pass is very high in Bucks, which piles on the pressure.
scary mum
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

scary mum wrote:But FluffyD, we have a full grammar system in Bucks, so everyone does the 11plus - it is an opt out system rather than opt in, so more or less everyone has an interest in the 11plus, hence so many Bucks EPE-ers.
Thanks for that I didn't realise.

It's so strange how it varies so much in the same country.
Vic x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

FluffyD wrote:It must just mean that a higher % of Bucks/Berks parents are on here then :wink:

Yes, faitaccompli, it would have only been a sideways step from Hull. I prefer the cows Herman. :P
Ha ha - can't see any cows today!!! Trouble is this is ridiculously big county - nearly 90 miles from Skipton to Hull!!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Berks is very different.

There are 3 GS in Slough that operate as a consortium.

In Reading there is 1 girls GS called Kendrick (academy now but same rules still apply) which has just introduced a 15 mile radius designated area - before that there was no catchment at all. Around 600 sit the exam for 96 places.
There is also 1 boys GS called Reading school ( now academy) which has almost the same situation - 112 in year but similar number of applicants. They take 12 boarders. Again they have introduced a DA this year for the first time with 15 mile radius.

These are the only Berks GS there are so competition is intense. Previously students came in from London, Newbury, Oxford, Basingstoke, you name it.

I live in Reading less than a mile from Kendrick but there is a good chance my DD won't get in and 'her' place will go to someone from much further away.