Torture

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
faitaccompli

Torture

Post by faitaccompli »

No - not a new method to make my son work, but the whole damn process of 11+.

I can't leave this forum alone. I devour EVERY post whether it is relevant or not, in the hope that some of the good luck will rub off on us!

OK - he sat the Langley exam in January - average score of 110 - had about 7 weeks prep. With calcualtions based on some remarks on here, I reckon he had about 11/12 questions wrong.

Sat the first Bucks exam today and said it was far easier than Langley VR - he finished it with 20 minutes to spare and had time to check everything. He has trouble with meanings of words, but said that there was not one word he did not know in this exam. Really? I know we have been working hard on vocab but I found this hard to believe. He did mention push and thrust in the correct context, so maybe he is right ...

Could the Bucks exam really be easier this year? He seemed like a weight had lifted from him when he came back from the exam. There were only three of them taking it - the other two had already got through first round of QE/Habs etc so were well practised with taking tests!

As I said, torture. If only someone could ring me and say he has or has not scored enough from today.

On the good news front I have an offer on my house, so won't be bankrupt in April if it all goes through.

On the bad news front, I got home from Aylesbury to find I had a speeding ticket and am not eligible (by 1 mph) for taking the speed awareness course.

I sincerely hope that the Bucks exam will not be another 1 mark problem ... !!!

Many thanks to those of you who PMd me last night after my son went into meltdown. He is back on top form and sang all the way back from the exam (for over an hour) :)
Kiwimum

Re: Torture

Post by Kiwimum »

You seem to have so much going on so perhaps the time will pass quickly while you are waiting for his results.

For me it's the waiting for school allocations that's driving me crazy, like you I read every post and yesterday I found myself comparing first preferences for Bucks schools against first and final allocations for the past five years!! It isn't that I don't have anything else to do - my mind just wanders back here.

Roll on March and hopefully normal life can resume again!!
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Please don't. IF he qualifies, then I live 500 yards from SWB which is our first choice. But Bucks has already said that he is unlikely to get it as it will be over subscribed by the time the appeals have been held. I don't move until 10th March, so obviously not included in first round offers.

And I don't even know if he has qualified.

As I said.

T O R T U R E !!!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Kiwimum wrote:Roll on March and hopefully normal life can resume again!!
Or so you'd think. You can try and leave EPE but you'll be back......... :twisted:

Seriously though, I know exactly what you're going through. Not too long now x
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi faitaccompli,

You really have alot happening, but hard as it may be think positive, if its meant to be it will happen, my ds said the 2nd paper was easier in Bucks but actually scored 2 marks more in the 1st one. He was quite nervous on the 1st day.

I think it all depends on the day as well, the slough exam was our 3rd one so by that time ds was much relaxed about the whole thing, did extremely well on VR and not so good on NVR, which already was weaker, overall mark was ok.

I hope as this was your 2nd exam it goes well, it is difficult, be it waiting for results or waiting for allocations day, I also find it hard to stay away from this site, even though there is no need at present till the 1st arrives but find myself automatically logging in every so often, dh thinks I'm mad and should stay away now.

Good luck with next paper and the results, hope you get them soon.
Jeepers

Post by Jeepers »

Just a short one to wish your son lots of luck in his exams.

I don't know if it helped, but I told mine that the second bucks exam was always harder to stop any mid-exam "its not going well" panics.

BTW I managed to get a speeding ticket on the way to our first Bucks paper, and got sent on the speed awareness course for my trouble. So, whatever happens on allocation day, someone in this house has been educated in Bucks as a result of our 11 plus adventure.

All the best.

J
borax

Post by borax »

My child sat Bucks as first of several 11+ exams and came out smiling and relieved after 1st paper; found it to be the easiest of all that were taken, and got great result also, better than on 2nd paper. First Bucks paper VR result was better than Langley VR, second Bucks paper result was about the same as Langley VR. Great thing with Bucks is you get two chances; best of two!
Of all tests sat the Langley NVR was found the hardest; maybe we didn't cover the right types in prep as NVR was stronger at the outset, so we concentrated on VR.
Maybe your son is stronger on VR?? Either way, sounds like there are reasonable grounds for optimism! Good luck and hope it works out for you.