other Maths websites

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Waiting_For_Godot

other Maths websites

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I have found a website that is proving really useful, it's called yourteacher.com and it is American but still very good. There is a teacher teaching at a white board for around two minutes on each subject and then there are online questions followed by printed sheets. The levels range from late primary to university maths although it is mainly algebra and geometry. Both my boys are able to use it and one is gifted in maths and the other struggles.

Books I have also found very useful in the past, and especially for parents as it shows you how to tackle the problems in layman's terms are Peter Robson, Maths in Practice. They are quite old-fashioned but really sort out the foundations. Oh and there is an answer book! :wink:
FluffyD

Re: Guest55's Useful Websites for Maths

Post by FluffyD »

I have just found another site Maths Whizz which my DS loves as you earn points which you can spend to decorate your bedroom!
You do an assesment first to establish your weak points then it has great tutorials to talk you through the different types of problams.
Vic x
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Best one is khan academy.org. Its awesome, such simple layout. I use it for tutoring for all ages to rekindle any love for maths or science. The founder is of Pakistani origin and he is a true genius with this idea. His aim is to banish schools and replace with this type of learning. Change is inevitable as with all things in our fast moving society I suppose. His web site is also part funded by Bill Gates.

http://www.khanacademy.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

all he other ones mentioned are tremendous as well
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some of his methods are not in line with our exam requirements so do use the methods your teachers have taught you.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Guest55 wrote:Some of his methods are not in line with our exam requirements so do use the methods your teachers have taught you.
Or decent methods at all. See http://mathhombre.blogspot.com/2012/06/ ... -2000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ginx

Post by ginx »

Waiting_for_Godot. Thanks for your advice on yourteacher.

I have two dc at secondary school, one is in top set but not brilliant, the other struggles. It will make a change from my dh ploughing through Mymaths with them.

This is a very useful site.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now