Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mellifera

Yes, scholarship! No, bursary ...

Post by Mellifera »

Hi all!

Help!

My DD has been granted an art scholarship, which covers a small amount of the fees. She hasn't quite qualified for an assisted place/bursary though. Apparently, school bursary funds are low this year and, although she did well, a handful of children scored higher than she did in the entrance exam.

She's on the reserve list for the bursary and we're hoping that some of the people who were given firm offers reject them. The school seem to like her (she did extremely well in the interview) and they've suggested that we meet with them to talk about 'what's possible' next week. We're still waiting for her results from another school but that's possibly even less likely to prove fruitful and we really like this school.

We're on a very low income with no savings or assets. Despite gaining the scholarship, she won't be able to attend unless her fees can be covered.

My questions, I suppose, are these:

Are there potential sources of funding, other than the school itself? (I'm presuming that there aren't).
Is there anything we can do that might sway things in her favour?
Do any of you have experience of this? What can we expect and how does it usually work?

I'm worrying myself silly over it (silly in itself)! The local comp is a monster. Any advice will be much appreciated!
mangomum

Re: Yes, scholarship! No, bursary ...

Post by mangomum »

Congratulations on the scholarship!

I remember reading somewhere there are charities that assist with funding why not google also worth asking the school for advice. Good luck I hope you manage to find the means to take up the scholarship or you manage to secure a bursary.
MangoMum
mamakiso

Post by mamakiso »

Hi there are lots of charities that offer one off fixed amount or a regular bursary - they range from charities that give money to single parents, to seamen's families and healthcare staff. Google is always a very good place to start - try educational charities or something like that.

Good luck
Mellifera

Post by Mellifera »

Thanks! I've been looking into that tonight. I'll make some calls tomorrow :)
Mellifera

Post by Mellifera »

I'm wondering whether to call either of the schools for an update, advice, to reinforce our interest, etc. I've noticed that many of you seem to call quite early for this. Maybe I'm too polite—sitting quietly and (pretending to be) patient for now? I don't want to annoy them when they're no doubt very busy ...

It sounds as though charitable help is unlikely to be an option. I've just called Educational Grants Advice and apparently there's very little in the way of charitable grants for Arts. I'll pursue it as far as possible, of course.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Congratulations to your DD on the scholarship, and I sincerely hope that something works out on the front of bursary.

Maybe it is a good idea to write to them (by email?) about your strong interest in the school. You will thus be conveying your keenness, while not really annoying them on the phone.
Mellifera

Post by Mellifera »

I've had a meeting with the school. It's looking increasingly likely that I'll need to find charitable funding / a rich benefactor / Abel Magwitch.

I've been going through the various online directories. The problem is that many of the funds are very, very specific. I've found very little that specifically supports children who are artistically talented (her strengths are art and poetry) and / or who are from very poor backgrounds. I've had a disability which is why I've not had much income.

I'm posting this on the off chance that any of you have a brain wave. I'm clutching at straws but I intend to keep doing so until there are none left.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

There should be a book in the library about all the trust bodies. I've known an acquaintance to get £800 per term fro educational purposes. She used it for kumon and even swimming lessons! She was unemployed and a single parent. Just keep searching or even right to some famous people.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Take a look at the Leverhulme Trust, under Funding for arts. even better just give them a ring tomorrow. Very best of luck.
MrsBrown

Post by MrsBrown »

Hi!

Check your local library for lists of charitable trusts. Depending on area, there are local charities that will give one off payments for specifics - like uniform or books etc.

Hope you are successful