Ribston extra curricular activities

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stressed?Moi?

Ribston extra curricular activities

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Just wondering what extra curricular activities there are at Ribston and importantly, if they are lunchtime or after school. Many thanks.
mum23*

Re: Ribston extra curricular activities

Post by mum23* »

hi there are lots of clubs and they are at lunchtime and after school. Dance club is after school for an hour plus in Y8 you can audition for the dance company which meets after school on Weds. Drama club is after school but usually every other week because lots do it so they split it. Choir, orchestra at lunchtimes, cheerleading lunchtimes, lots of sports clubs lunchtimes, teams sometimes practice or have games after school. There are clubs for different subjects too eg y7 art club, history club etc

I have found Ribston very reliable for clubs with something for everyone...rowing with Crypt, film club where they show films at lunchtime and sell sweets (every 2 weeks) loads and they don't fizzle out like at some schools. My DD says it's brilliant for clubs and the 6th form are great fun and organise things for the rest of the school regularly eg all the fun charity days etc staff and student panto.. things like that. Hope that helps.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

mum23* wrote:hi there are lots of clubs and they are at lunchtime and after school. Dance club is after school for an hour plus in Y8 you can audition for the dance company which meets after school on Weds. Drama club is after school but usually every other week because lots do it so they split it. Choir, orchestra at lunchtimes, cheerleading lunchtimes, lots of sports clubs lunchtimes, teams sometimes practice or have games after school. There are clubs for different subjects too eg y7 art club, history club etc

I have found Ribston very reliable for clubs with something for everyone...rowing with Crypt, film club where they show films at lunchtime and sell sweets (every 2 weeks) loads and they don't fizzle out like at some schools. My DD says it's brilliant for clubs and the 6th form are great fun and organise things for the rest of the school regularly eg all the fun charity days etc staff and student panto.. things like that. Hope that helps.
Thanks very much for the information - I wish we had had so many clubs when I was at school! She is particularly interested in dance, mainly ballet. I was hoping that it would be lunchtimes instead of after school. We live in Cheltenham and she will probably be using the "grammar bus" which only returns once a day so it would mean me driving across to get her. Like most of us though I'm already Mum's Taxi Service so one more journey won't make too much difference. She's got to get in first though!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Regarding ballet, I think there is an introduction to ballet club but most girls do their ballet training outside school so you could try one of the local ballet schools to you. There is a charity dance event on 26th Feb at Ribston where you could see the kind of dance that takes place. Maybe you could take DD to watch too?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

mum23* wrote:Regarding ballet, I think there is an introduction to ballet club but most girls do their ballet training outside school so you could try one of the local ballet schools to you. There is a charity dance event on 26th Feb at Ribston where you could see the kind of dance that takes place. Maybe you could take DD to watch too?
That's great, it would also give us a chance to have another peep at the school!

She's quite happy at the ballet school she goes to at the moment, so may well continue there.

Thanks for your help.
Dalmation

Post by Dalmation »

Hi,
we are also in Cheltenham & also hoping to be at Ribston come Sept :-) my DD is a big dancer so if all goes to plan we could share lifts at times ****
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Dalmation wrote:Hi,
we are also in Cheltenham & also hoping to be at Ribston come Sept :-) my DD is a big dancer so if all goes to plan we could share lifts at times ****
That sounds like a good idea! We'll have to liaise if/when the girls get in. Cheers.
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

Ribston is also one of the schools with rowing machines which is involved in the 'Project Oarsome' encouraging young people interested in learning to row. Interested pupils need to be able to swim and be fairly fit, then can get involved initially at the school with some dry side training, then a capsize test, after which they are gently introduced to rowing (and coxing if interested) at weekends at Gloucester Rowing Club. Crypt are also involved in the project.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now