First round offer for Slough Grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jignesh Mehta

First round offer for Slough Grammar school

Post by Jignesh Mehta »

When can we know first round offer score set for 2012 ? Is this information available to us 1 week before letter goes out ?
hasmum

Re: First round offer for Slough Grammar school

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
I dont think the schools will know the cut off scores until after 1st March, I did speak to someone a little while ago from Herschel (admissions) and was told in 1st round it will be top 70 in rank order then the following/remainder nearest to school but the cut off may be different this year as depends on cohort, last year it was 116 for Herschel, for slough it may be different, but for this year it may differ. I was told the schools dont know until after 1st March as well and LEA does not inform schools prior to this.

I would say the same applies to Slough Grammar and Langley, but this is just my opinion, someone else may know better.
English Emilia

Post by English Emilia »

As far as I can remember, Slough operate a similar system to Herschel - a certain number of places are allocated purely on rank order and the remainder on distance from the school, as long as the pass mark is achieved. Not sure of the exact split for Slough - as you say, it is 70 rank order and 50 distance from school for Herschel, so I imagine Slough will be similar, although they do have a much bigger intake - 180 pupils as opposed to 120. Langley give no priority to local pupils at all and offer all their places on rank order only. They claim that they have a "catchment area", but since this appears to stretch from somewhere around Ealing right over to Reading, I think they basically take the "pick of the crop" - ie purely the top scorers, regardless of where they live.
As far as cut-off marks go, it does vary from year to year. Although Herschel's was 116 last year, the initial offers only went out to pupils scoring 117 or above (unless you got one of the "catchment places", of course). They dropped their offer to 116 very quickly though, I believe. Not sure what the cut-offs for the other 2 were, but I do have it on very good authority that everyone living in Slough who achieved 111 or above did receive an offer of a place from SGS (unless they already had an offer from a school placed higher on their CAF form).

I guess it's a case of "wait and see" for this year's offers?!
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Slough I believe take top 100 in rank order, the rest is catchment.
There was info for slough GS'S I believe under final offers for slough GS's, the info was for previous years, I'll check the last figure/year available.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now