Can you post some success stories?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Humbug

Can you post some success stories?

Post by Humbug »

Still another two weeks to go before we hear Consortium news and the waiting is just too horrible!

I'd love to read some happy news - current or past - especially if your DC didn't get in to one school but still got offers elsewhere.

Anyone got anything cheering to report?
Middlesexmum

Re: Can you post some success stories?

Post by Middlesexmum »

Great post humbug, we are waiting too.

Keep busy next week, we are nearly there.

What schools are you waiting to hear from?
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Hi Middlesexmum

Yes - keeping busy is very important!

The school we really want is Godolphin, but I'm beginning to think we were too ambitious. I know she's not a St Pauls/NLCS type of girl but I had thought G&L would suit her. Now I think there's probably not much in it and to get into any of these schools you need to be absolutely top of everything from day one. So feeling rather down even before hearing anything!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I don't know much about Godolphin humbug, we're in a different area and we're waiting to hear about St. Helen's. But NLCS is the one of the top girls school in the country, closely followed by Habs (I think, pls correct me if I'm wrong), I'm sure many girls don't get in there but secure places elsewhere.
chiswickwitch

Post by chiswickwitch »

Hi Humbug

We went through this with DD1 a couple of years ago and the waiting is pretty awful. I found comfort in lots of (very, very) long walks and the odd glass of wine (or two, or three :? ) and my house was the cleanest and tidiest it has ever been :lol:

DD1 got 2 rejections (totally expected) and 2 scholarships (completely unexpected! We weren't quite sure how this happened as she hadn't been top in anything at her previous school) She chose to accept G&L and is very happy. Now we are waiting for DD2s results. Fingers crossed and lots of good luck to your DD :)
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Great Thread to start Humbug. Thanks!

I hope more people like chiswickwitch share their stories to give some level of comfort.

All the schools we applied to will give out results on 23 / 24 Feb. In hindsight, it is rather stupid not to apply to other schools :). I can't think of anything else except the school results for the last 10 days. DW finds it very surprising why am I suddenly so tense. DD looks totally chilled out though.
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Yes thanks Chiswickwitch for that ray of hope! I'm trying not to pass my anxiety on to my DD, so any other words of comfort much appreciated... Good to know I'm not alone feeling like this anyway.
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

Here's a success story. All exams are done. Last interview was today. We are relatively unscathed and still have a happy, cheerful son. Good luck to everybody with results and well done for getting this far !
lucky99

Post by lucky99 »

Hi Humbug,

This is not my own but my friend's story, from last year.

Her DS was singled out from first round at Mill Hill County from the very early stage. However, he was invited back to Latymer and QE and ended up with offers from Haberdasher, City, Westminster and QE landed on the table, one of them even came with some scholarship offer!

A bit of wobbly start but a very happy ending indeed! :D
tubby

Post by tubby »

Hi all,

When DD did not get a call for interviews, l started to panic :| , so applied to a less selective school in our area very late, she sat the exam, and we got an offer today, she said '' at least l have one offer, still waiting for 3 :? . The school is our very very last option, not sure how we can keep the offer till 1st of March, school did say they know we don't have to accept till March, but it will be nice to acknowledge them, but NOT to say hmmm you are really our last option :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now