Diesel and supermarket fuelling stations

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
poiuyt

Diesel and supermarket fuelling stations

Post by poiuyt »

I have heard to avoid filling up at supermarkets, is this sound advice? I have heard the tank is left with a lot of sediment in some cases.
hermanmunster

Re: Diesel and supermarket fuelling stations

Post by hermanmunster »

Stories about supermarket diesel hit the press from time to time - odd as some are supoosed to be worse than others but comes from the same refineries. I don;t have any choice as there aren't any garages anywhere near here only supermarkets
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

i subscribe to an alert thingy that tells me where the cheapest fuel is in my area- I would always go there if I can - sometimes it is the supermarket, sometimes it isn't - I don't care. I do a lot of miles, and try to fill up at what I see is the cheapest at the time. I haven't noticed that anything causes any problem to my engine, although there are some silly people at my work who try to tell me I need to fill up at BP always . I drive a diesel car, and there are huge discrepancies between garages, and between the cost of petrol and the price of diesel - i almost always avoid BP, as it generally is the most expensive.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think it is just the fuel companies trying to stir up trouble. We have never had any problems with supermarket fuel.

I've just had a quick google and the consensus seems to be that there are minimum standards that have to be met, but the the brands such as "ultimate" etc may be better due to extra additives. We never do, but there may be some advantages to using these every now and then, maybe?
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now