How to challenge this stage of an appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Inga

How to challenge this stage of an appeal

Post by Inga »

Dear moderators:How to challenge this stage of an appeal:
The capacity of school calculated by LEA is 1101.The actual number on roll is 1385(126%) of capacity.The budget for financial year will have deficit of 200 000 pounds,part of which was met by voluntary parents contributions.The school does not havethe reccurent or capital funds available for provision of additional accommodation or staffing.The number of pupils we are able to admit to the school is limited by physical capacity of the buildings and the recources avalaible.All of the available places have been filled in accordance with the admission arragements and the admission of further students would cause prejudice to efficient education and the efficient use of resources.

V/A church school didnt provide any details of how many kids were admitted that year or perhaps how many were accepted after appeals.From info provided,it looks like they dont follow PAN anyway.Further ,application was rejected because baptism was delayed,now i have further info to back that up.

Any help would be helpful
Last edited by Inga on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loopyloulou

Re: Catholic school delayed baptism

Post by Loopyloulou »

Is this CVMS? Last year there were 95 Year 7 appeals, of which 4 were upheld.
Loopy
Inga

Post by Inga »

Obviously it is very easy to challenge non - qulification appeal (site based on) as long as your child performs well at current school and teacher can write reference but to challenge oversubscriptions criteria is much harder as I have seen now.Even moderators can not reply to stage 1 appeal!!!

Thanks for not being very helpful!!
Alex

Post by Alex »

It helps if you post in the most appropriate section, in this case, Appeals.

Have you read the Appeals Q&A? It is a good starting point:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My initial thoughts are that you need more information to challenge the school's case - organisation, group sizes, numbers in year groups, classroom sizes etc.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Inga,

I realise that you are in a difficult position but when you do post on appeals may I suggest you are a lot less rude about the moderators? :D

They are all volunteers and, if you read the Q&As you will see there is a lot of help with over-subscription. The basis of your case is to show that the school has coped in the past with additional pupils with no detriment to their results.
turtleglos

Re: How to challenge this stage of an appeal

Post by turtleglos »

Obviously it is very easy to challenge non - qulification appeal (site based on) as long as your child performs well at current school and teacher can write reference but to challenge oversubscriptions criteria is much harder as I have seen now.Even moderators can not reply to stage 1 appeal!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :(
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Inga wrote:Obviously it is very easy to challenge non - qulification appeal (site based on) as long as your child performs well at current school and teacher can write reference but to challenge oversubscriptions criteria is much harder as I have seen now.Even moderators can not reply to stage 1 appeal!!!

gosh. :shock: :shock:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:I realise that you are in a difficult position but when you do post on appeals may I suggest you are a lot less rude about the moderators? :D
It might also be nice to thank people when they do help and answer the questions they ask?
mad?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I should mention that Inga's posts, and the replies, were split from the very lengthy and long-running "Delayed baptism" thread on General 11+ Topics. It is for that reason that neither Etienne nor I spotted her enquiry about an appeal, because we are far too busy at this time of year to be able to read every new post on the forum.

Inga, as Alex has pointed out, reading the Appeal Q&As would be a good start.
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Inga wrote:Obviously it is very easy to challenge non - qulification appeal (site based on) as long as your child performs well at current school and teacher can write reference but to challenge oversubscriptions criteria is much harder as I have seen now.Even moderators can not reply to stage 1 appeal!!!

Not sure if i agree, unfortinately i have had exp of both non qual and over sub appeal and both were equally as challenging, I have seen success and failure on both for friends and family.

Q&A are extreamly helpfull and i found the advice i needed thanks to the moderators.

Parents/moderators are here to help.

Q
x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now