Catchment area criteria

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Raj2710

Catchment area criteria

Post by Raj2710 »

My child scored 111 in the 11 plus exam. Our 1st preference was LGS. We live in the catchment area of LGS. (Within 350 meters walking distance from the school). My Child’s KS 2 predictions are 5A’s for English, Maths and Reading.
In the event of an appeal for over subscription for LGS which is very likely, Do I have a strong case for an appeal based on the

a) Academic performance
b) Distance from, home to school.

Any advice in the regard is highly appreciated :?
Etienne

Re: Catchment area criteria

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

If score is one of the oversubscription criteria, then I assume you'd like to argue that your child was expected to score even more highly. 5As are good, but it would help to have a wider range of academic evidence including reasoning ability.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With regard to reasons for wanting a place, I would suggest you probably have an average sort of case.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The fiercer the competition for places, the stronger the case would normally need to be.)
Etienne
Raj2710

Post by Raj2710 »

Thanks for the quick response.

In Berks is there any allocation of a place in a school based on living in the catchment area.

How does a catchment area differs from the admission area and what purposes does the cathment area serves in terms of an admission.

Appreciate your help.
chad

Post by chad »

Both Slough Grammar and Herschel have a 'distance criteria' forming part of their admissions.

A number of the places are allocated on score, then the rest are allocated on distance from the school (as long as you have reached the 111 qualifying score).

Langley only has an 'Admissions area' which is quite wide ranging. This means that they will consider all applications from within the area before those from outside the admissions area regardless of score.

Hope that helps,

Chad