24th February looming ahead

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sami123

24th February looming ahead

Post by sami123 »

Hello everyone

I have been following the forum for a while and this is my first post. My dd has sat NLCS, Habs Girls, St Helens, Northwood College and Watford Grammer. I tutored her myself for about two years and she went to a tutor once a week. She is a bright child within the top 5 in her class. I was devastated when she did not get the NLCS interview.. I have had serious health problems for which I am receiving treatment and I feel that maybe with all this going on and all my hospital stays in between she was not able to deliver on the day. She got interviews with Habs and St Helens. Northwood interviewed everyone. I am waiting with fingers toes crossed that she did ok at the interviews.

I did then tell NLCS about my health problem but they said she was not even near the cut off point which left me even more devastated and worried. Does anyone know if I could ask for a re-assessment?

How many offers do habs girls actually send out? Does anyone know? I am really worried.

sami
Daogroupie

Re: 24th February looming ahead

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello look at my post under "Is DAO horrible?" to see my comments about NCLS and their attitude to interviews. Which one was your first choice? How did the interview at Habs go? You have four great chances left, did you put any other Watford consortium schools down like Parmiters or Clement Danes? DG
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Hi sami,

I entirely agree that the waiting process is very tough. But, don't be too hard on yourself. As DG said, and he knows more about schools than anyone else, you still have four Great Choices. And it is not easy to get an interview call from Habs. So, you should definitely be proud of your DD for reaching to this stage, and be proud of yourself for helping your DC in spite of your heath issue.

Habs told us about 600 appeared for the exam this year, and around 200 were called for the interview. There are 120-125 places, and they get about 40 from their own prep school. They will however send a few more offers than the available places as some children may prefer other schools. My guess on the number of offers they will send is 120-140. You may also want to go through the forum to get more info. I read in this forum that Habs sent about 175 offers a couple of years ago, with most accepting the places, they had to open an extra class for that year.

There are also a good number of parents who prefer Habs over NLCS.

All the best to your DD, and wish you an early recovery!
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Hi Sami

I agree with concerned dad and don't be too hard on yourself. The consortium schools don't normally offer reassessment for year 7 entry, although you could try again for year 8. (It is a big deal moving at that point).

The other four you have applied for are extremely good academic schools and good luck with those.
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Sami, I know how you feel. It's funny how one rejection can make you feel so worried. Your DD has done brilliantly to get those other interviews though, and I'm sure you can feel confident she'll get a good outcome.
sami123

Post by sami123 »

Hello everyone

Thank you all for your kind wishes I was really touched. I wish all your DC all the best in the schools they applied to.

Daogroupie I saw your comments on NLCS. Our first choice was a tie between Habs and NLCS and now we would probably go for Habs if we get it. However, this rejection has really knocked my confidence in my child's performance (I do not show this to her) and I fear she may not get any. She says the interview went well but she also said the NLCS exam went well. I suppose I will just have to wait and see.....

ConcernedDad thank you for your vote of confidence and will keep my fingers crossed that my dc is one of the girls they send the offer to. Did your dc sit this exam this year as well?

Ellie and Humbug thanks also for wishes.

Sami
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

Don't let it knock you. Any child can have an off day. It sounds like your DD is clever and will get in somewhere. I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason and will work out for the best. Schools test different things and the format of the test might just not have worked for her. You'll read plenty of reviews on here of countless children being rejected by one school, but still having plently of offers.
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

That's good to hear CPM1771 - all I can see at the moment are the people who seem to get offers everywhere!

Having said that, I do agree that Sami's DD has already done so well to get those interviews that she really shouldn't worry...
Rimsky

Post by Rimsky »

Not at our house, just waitlists am afraid!! So we are hoping for some better news in 24th. Try and stay pos Sami, getting those interviews is great so will will get a good offer. I must remember to take some of my own advice!! I agree, so easy to let one rejection get turn you completely negative!!
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Hi sami,

Yes. My DD also applied for a place at Habs this year. Fingers crossed for the result!
sami123 wrote:
She says the interview went well but she also said the NLCS exam went well.

Sami
Please note our DCs are still very young. It is very brave of them to go through this arduous task of exams and interviews. At that age, I didn't have a clue what an interview was. My DD tends to be very reticent about the type of questions she got wrong in exams / interviews. Maybe she gets so nervous, she doesn't show it though, her mind unconsciously blanks them out. According to her, only one interview was terrible among all the exams / interviews she went through. Everything else was umm..ok. We decided not to grill her as we are happy that she went through the whole process rather calmly. At the end of the day, she will get a school that suits her capabilities, and hopefully her interests as well.

Wish the best to everyone's DC! Hardly 10 days to go for 24th Feb!