entrance without private tutoring

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ILEANA

entrance without private tutoring

Post by ILEANA »

Hi. I would be very grateful is someone could spare a little time to answer my query.
My son is going to be 10years in August 12 therfore he is going to sit 11+ tests this year between October and December. As far as I know the cost of private tutoring is extremely high and therefore quite difficult for some parents to pay. I am quite confident that I could (I do it at present) help with anything related to school. Obviously this will require a lot of research. Now, it would be a great help if feedback will be given to this post. Has anyone heard of someone successfully passing those exams without tutoring?
Private tutoring varies from £25 to £40/h.

Look forward to your responses.

best regards,

UCA
Uca
scary mum

Re: entrance without private tutoring

Post by scary mum »

That is why a lot of people are on this forum, yes, it can be done if you and your DC are able to work together. Plenty of people do.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Most people on here have DIYed for 11+.

If you scroll down you will find a section on each part of the country - head there and ask away!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, Every year I have seen some parents who have hired private tutors and left it all upto them come unstuck. Some tutors try to cover too many schools and do not keep upto date with changes in the exams, for example Lattymer abandoned VR for English two years ago and HBS are abandoning NVR this year. QE are changing the exams but have not specified what the new exams will be. I have asked some parents what materials their tutor is using and they have no idea because they are simply paying the bill and not getting involved. Every year I hear of applicants on Level 5A English who get very low marks on the English paper at DAO because they have not been given enough guidance on how to respond to the paper. DAO gets lots of calls from parents who think their English result is a spelling mistake because it is so different to the VR and Maths marks. So actually not having a tutor and doing the research yourself to make sure you are preparing your ds properly for the exams that you are most interested in is probably the best route to success. No tutor in the world can get your ds into the school of your choice. It is all about the paper on the day, the performance on the day and the performance of the other applicants. I have heard that there are tutors in Enfield who, if you sign up in Year 3, promise you a place for your dc at DAO. Obviously starting early could increase your chances but is not a sure thing. What you need to do is sign your ds up for some mocks and that will give you a good indication as to where he is vis a vis his year cohort which is the most important thing. Lots and lots of people on here have done the job themselves and have made sure that they are focusing on the particular weaknesses of their dc. I get pms all the time from parents who have used tutors who have spent far too much time on VR and NVR and not enough time on English and from tutors who have very little material and just keep repeating it. There is so much material that your ds could not possibly complete it all before October so to hear of parents paying when their child is just doing the same questions over and over is such a waste of time and money. Some of those who get in through tutoring then start to fall behind because they have only been prepared for the exams and not in the subjects properly. Do a mock with your ds with all four options, VR, NVR , Maths and English and find out where you need to start work. Which schools are you interested in? DG
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Private tutors can help those who lack confidence to tutor their own DCs however it does come at a cost :shock: this site is an excellent resource for home tutoring, giving excellent advice and also a shop where you can purchase the correct practise papers/tests for your area of testing.

Good luck ... whichever route you choose to take :) x x x
Heartmum x x x
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if you feel that you and your child can work together ( mine never listened to me!) then it is perfectly possible to DIY.

What area are you in? The content of the exam varies from region to region, so it may be worth looking at the section for your LA too

Just ask if you have any questions, there is always someone who can help.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

I think that even with a tutor it's the parents who have to make sure the work is done. The tutor comes for an hour a week - teaches, sets/corrects homework & leaves. The rest of the time it's the parents who have to make sure the work is done plus any extra reading, etc is also kept up.

So whether you have a tutor or not, you have to be involved if you want the results
laretta

Post by laretta »

DG makes a good point as do other posters.
I have known parents who have left it all to a tutor to come unstuck when results day comes. There is more to be done than can be covered in an hour a week (for most).
I do think that DIY home tutoring is also an excellent alternative and with the help of this forum has been a success for many in the past.
Good luck with your journey.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Although your child will have to do more than turn out to the session so you will be involved with the work in between times it will hopefully be easier to pass off the extra work as required by the tutor, not by you the parent, and therefore have fewer arguments. Now if the tutor recommends less work than you think is necessary, this might not help you in disputes with your child!!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, it can be done but it will require more effort from you than either relying solely on a tutor or using hybrid approach (tutor & diy).

From personal experience and observation, the success rate for diy is high. I come from a LARGE family where both of my parents are the eldest of nine children and many of my relatives have gone through the 11+ process with their children.

It is interesting to note that the parents who have solely diyed have always been successful whereas the ones who have adopted a hybrid approach (or have a tutor alone), haven't always been so (and it has nothing to do with numbers). For example, my uncle did a splendid job of diying all four of his dc, all of whom passed and one is currently at Oxford Univ. 8) Two of my sibilings have also successfully diyed their dc. I have personal experience in diying 2dc who are currently enjoying their grammar schools. I could go on...giving you details of my dh's side of the family but to cut a long story short- it is possible and very rewarding. :D

Just to add, I noticed that your dc is an August child. Birthdates can make a difference to 11+ success. My daughter's dob is 29 August and in all honesty, she was written off regarding 11+ (hence our reason to diy).

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now