About music exam...

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dreams

About music exam...

Post by dreams »

Hi everyone, again. Just feel like I need to add more information to my previous emotional topic here:) My DD didn't get to the music audition at WGGS and I was trying to understand what was wrong. Since her teacher think DD is good at music and she enjoys playing I was a little bit disappointed. But then we received her Grade 4 ABRSM results. :shock: Even her playing, scales were at distinction level, her aural was 1 point less then pass mark!!!! So, tips for parents, don't forget to check your child's aural abilities:) Good luck everyone.
Sportsmum

Re: About music exam...

Post by Sportsmum »

I didn't see your previous post, however, just to add a tale from an old music teacher: one of her Grade 8 (distinction) piano and Grade 5 voice students didn't get through to the second round of the WGGS music tests - audition. The girl was fortunate enough to gain an academic place and continued her music at the school. So to be honest, the aptitude tests aren't necessarily all that accurate. There are also a lot of pupils that are well practiced in the music tests by their school and peri music teachers.
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: About music exam...

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I dislike the musical aptitude tests and find them rather pointless. A school wants a certain percentage of able musicians but ignoring the children with grade 5+ over a child with grade 1 who has done better in an aural exam is simply ludicrous. How on earth is the child with potential going to inspire and take a leadership role, musically, within the school? They need such leadership and inspiration from the musical children who have performance, orchestral and diligence to get as far as they have at a young age.

Regarding aural: my son always gets very low marks in his exams in this area. In fairness he has never been taught any aural for exams but as a chorister, one would expect him to be excellent in this area. He would probably fail to get a music place eventhough he could lead alto and soprano sections in any choir, has amazing sight singing and could also lead the whole bass section in an orchestra. The grade 1 with potential would probably take years to reach a standard to be able to do all of the above.

The point of the aural is to avoid tutoring or the advantage that money and class could buy a music place. Yet, they don't do the same for the academic tests, where most applicants are heavily tutored. I wonder why not - because they don't want to take a risk with their academic results!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now