Admission fraud increases

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Admission fraud increases

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... laces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Data obtained by The Daily Telegraph suggests that around 420 mothers and fathers entered false information on school application forms to secure access to the best primaries and secondaries this year.

In most cases, families living miles from schools used grandparents’ and friends’ addresses within catchment areas or temporarily rented property within walking distance to secure places.

Other parents falsely claimed children had been baptised to get them into faith schools and some councils even reported examples of adults attempting to enrol infants in primary school before they were old enough.

In all, more than 700 children are believed to have had their school place withdrawn over the last five years after mothers and fathers submitted false data on forms.
vasu

Re: Admission fraud increases

Post by vasu »

My sons are in a very popular primary. Our family friends wanted to put their DS in the same school. Hence there started looking for rental properties near the school. They found a property very close to school and well in their budget. But the googly (cricketing term :wink: ) came from the landlady. She only wanted to rent the property to people who do not put their kid's names in that local primary!!! Her ds was 3 years old and she was going to give the address of this property when her ds was old enough for Reception!!! She did not want the tenants to give the same address. This lady lived quite far away from the school and had no intention of moving closer to school once her son got the admission. Our friends notified the local counsel about this and eventually we all forgot about this. This was 2 years back. This academic year I saw the land-lady with her son in our school. Her son was in Reception!!!! I know it for a fact that she has not moved closer to school. :evil: Our friends had to put their son in another school closer to their home.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

there are even reports of older brothers/sisters/cousins taking the exams for some schools. Some schools (GS & indies) are asking for photographs and or passport photocopies to prevent this.

Where is all this leading to - eventually fraud will be discovered & these people face not only losing their place but also no other school will touch such students. Not to mention the child will not be upto the required standard even if they are not found out
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Substituting a child would not even have occured to me! (mind you, I do only have one of them ..) - for Slough you have to attach a photo, but not for Bucks.

I think it is desperately sad that grammar schools are not freely available to children in ALL areas and that we have to move houses in order to ensure our children get the education they deserve, for which we (as a nation of taxpayers) are paying.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

but not for Bucks
I suppose most Bucks candidates take the test at their primary school, so substituting a sibling is less possible.
scary mum
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

There is corruption in all tiers of our society. This is the norm I suppose.
matreshka

Post by matreshka »

Friend of mine has baptised her child just to get him to a good primary school. Also she has an intention to apply for AP in private school despite they have a very decent income. She said they would do their income £00000.00 in the future to claim as much as they could. :? :? :?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

poiuyt wrote:There is corruption in all tiers of our society. This is the norm I suppose.
I hope not. And I think not, too.
Loopy
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Royal family is corrupt; money for questions ref fergie.
Mp's are corrupt, ref expenses and money for questions
Etc...I said there is corruption in all tiers of our society, not that everyone was corrupt
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I was discussing this with my middle DS this morning, he agrees with you poiuyt. He simply said 'the system is corrupt'. I haven't any personal knowledge of anyone doing this sort of thing but there are obviously those who will chance their arm.
Last edited by Fran17 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.