Timestables ...

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

Timestables ...

Post by fatbananas »

My DS seems to know most of his timestables (some weeks better than others, depending on the amount of practice :roll: ). However, when it comes to his division facts, it seems to take him much, much longer. He's either too slow or panics a bit and can't think of the timestable fact to help. Does anyone have any recommendations about how I might teach him to recognise the numbers which go together i.e 3, 8 and 24, or 9, 8, 72, so that he'd know the combination in any order?

He does play lots of timestables games on the computer and enjoys them but it seems to be the division facts which stymie him.

Many thanks for any help/ tips. :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
sargul

Re: Timestables ...

Post by sargul »

How about just trying to throw him divison problems then when he pauses asking him the times table question and when he gets it right ask the division! hopefully he will then connect his tables to his division and it might become more natrual!

ie

6 divided by 3?

how many 3's go into 6?

2 x 3?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

thanks Sargul, we do do that but it just doesn't seem to stick. I read somewhere about sort of word-searches but with the groups of numbers, eg. 12,2,24 hidden amongst other numbers. i searched for them on the web but couldn't find them. I tried creating my own, which took forever, but the formatting went awry and then I lost the will to live :roll: :lol:

Does anyone know of any worksheets or family games (as opposed to computer games) for division facts learning? So much of this stuff is done by rote learning that I'm trying to make it as fun as possible :P .

Well, I can try .... :wink:
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

try http://www.mathfactcafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks 999 mum. That looks a really useful website. :D
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

I find using favorite food as a good example. For eg.

'If I have 6 sweets & I have to divide them between you & your sister, how many should I give each of you?'

Sometimes using physical objects help- maybe sweets/marbles/anything & just get him to divide them into groups as asked in the questions. Having a visual stimulus may help him to understand the principles of division. I found this helped with my son as it helped him to understand the 'purpose' of division.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Leanmemum. DS does understand the principles of division, I would just like him to learn all the 'number combinations' so that he is faster. He can tell you what 7x6 is but when he sees 42 ./. 7 he finds it harder to immediately say '6'. He goes through all his 7 times tables til he gets to the answer! I just thought having some kind of game where you are familiar with seeing all the number combinations together would help and make it fun. I thought there would already be 'something' 'out there' to help learn division facts but I'm beginning to wonder. Perhaps it's just being 100% solid on timestables facts which teaches you them? But even those timestables DS does know inside out (and he's pretty good at the others), it still stops him in his tracks when it's put in a division sentence. :?
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

maybe you could tell him that we read the timestable backwards (42 = 6 X 7) therefore if we had 6 children & each needed 7 sweets we would need 42 which means we need 42 sweets for 6 children if they need 7 each.

Speed will come with practice - he knows his timestable well so just give him time.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Reading it backwards is a great idea. It immediately gets the answer linked to the other two numbers. Thanks very much!
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Great idea leanmeamum I will be taking that one as well!
Vic x