Mother of dilemas!!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dilema

Mother of dilemas!!!!

Post by dilema »

Hi guys,

We moved to London from Birmingham 18 months ago to seek a "better" education for the kids, our son sat 4 exams here in local schools, and he also sat KES (out of curiosity). The 4 london schools were in the top ten of the league tables so we were prob being optimistic, however we felt he had a fighting chance. What happened next though was not something we were prepared for, yes u guessed it he has only been offered a place at KES!
The london schools are saying try again at 13plus, so he could stay where is now until then but theres no guarantee. we would never forgive ourselves if he didnt get in then either. somebody please help!!!!
hermanmunster

Re: Mother of dilemas!!!!

Post by hermanmunster »

Depends if you are really planning to move or - London doesn't strike me as a great place for kids at school - fiends with kids at North London indies have been mugged on the way home etc. Why not take the KES place and stay there?
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

hermanmunster wrote:Depends if you are really planning to move or - London doesn't strike me as a great place for kids at school - fiends with kids at North London indies have been mugged on the way home etc. Why not take the KES place and stay there?
Blimey - if even the "fiends" kids are being mugged, it must be really bad!
(sorry hm - couldn't resist!)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

faitaccompli wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Depends if you are really planning to move or - London doesn't strike me as a great place for kids at school - fiends with kids at North London indies have been mugged on the way home etc. Why not take the KES place and stay there?
Blimey - if even the "fiends" kids are being mugged, it must be really bad!
(sorry hm - couldn't resist!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

London is a truly terrible place :lol:
um

Post by um »

Nice museums though...and they don't cost £50 for a family to visit like Thinktank does here :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed - lived in London for 7 years and enjoyed it immensely but that was before I had kids!!

Reckon KES would be good option (and saves moving if OP doesn't have to move :roll: )
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I would echo herman's response.

I imagine the competition for the London schools is fierce at both 11 and 13 plus, and as you say you have no guarantee you could get a place there two years down the line.

You say you sat KES out of curiosity, so were you not really keen on it anyway? Do you want your child to go to the other schools based on league tables or do you feel they suit your child more? What does your son think of KES? Do you have other children that would also need to be uprooted?

The standard and level of work given to the children at KES is very high (in my opinion as a KES mum) and even if it is "not as good" as in London, it is challenging enough for any child. I asked one teacher at a recent parents' evening why the work was so taxing (my son was asking me to help him, but if it's not science, maths or english then he's on his own!). She said that the particular topic involved was being taught at GCSE level (and he only started there in September), hence the difficulty.

I appreciate the move north may be difficult but there are many on this forum who have done it, both for the schooling and quality of life, and I don't know of any who regret it.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you and the family.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

To OP:
So you are now living in London, with dc at a mainstream or at an indi school? Has taken the 11+ exams which included 4 London independent schools and has now secured a place in KES? Did your dc sit the grammar tests, also?

I'd have to disagree with HM about London schools and issues of safety. We moved from London to Birmingham three years ago and live close to ds' school, KECHB: pupils walking home have been mugged, punched and we've even had the police patrolling, (on the look out for potential kidnappers).

Could you be more specific about where in London? London is huge...

Personally, I wouldn't want to take my child out of KES but if you really want to settle in London, you do have the option of taking KES now, and to register him for the 13+ test in due course. Move if and when he passes.

hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DIY Mum wrote:

I'd have to disagree with HM about London schools and issues of safety. We moved from London to Birmingham three years ago and live close to ds' school, KECHB: pupils walking home have been mugged, punched and we've even had the police patrolling, (on the look out for potential kidnappers).

Am sure you are right .. I am too much of a Dales bod these days - more than three sheep and it is defined a traffic jam. I was at KEHS then went to London for 7 years. KES and KEHS are in lovely grounds - can't get many like that in London the grounds would have been sold off!

Can't comment on Camp Hill or Handsworth - I did go to both schools for Fry Cup (inter schools tennis tournament) - we were sent off on the bus to get there by ourselves, presumably some sort of initiative test - we didn't get too lost and fortunately some of my class mates had some idea where we were. Got home by heading for the centre of birmingham and getting the train home...