Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Averagedad

Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by Averagedad »

Any parents planning to let their child taking the 11+ Test at CGS in Oct (i.e. for 2013 Entry)? :roll:
Averagedad

Re: Colyton Grammar School (2013 Entry)

Post by Averagedad »

The reason that I started this thread was because my wife and I would like to form a Study Group, enabling our boy to mix with Similar Ability, Similar Mentality child/ren once a month, Learning Together, Progressing Together and hopefully, one day Attending CGS Together. :D
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Nice idea - wish I lived in your area as I am totally doing this alone. Even OH is not interested as he is happy with current Indie - I am too but a GS place would make life much more straightforward.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi Reading Mum,

I'm sure your child has a good chance in getting into any grammar school - assuming that your child has the Right Motivation, Right Stimulation and a Realistic Timetable.

Do you mind sharing with me how you help your child to develop their potentials (and since when)?

Thanks.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I started thinking about things after visiting the only GS at openday in Oct/Nov last year. I was surprised that DD really liked it so I bought some books and read everything I could find on here. We are now slowly working our way through the VR how to books from Susan D (nearing end of book 2) and looking at AE Tuition NVR books too - no English or Maths tested here. I have also got some iPad apps for VR and the Tutors download for VR to provide some variety of media.
There are no past papers to look at - we just know the tests are from GL Assessment (formerly NFER).
So far we haven't had any melt downs but I think we need to up the pace a little - we took half term off as it was DD's birthday but now its back on to it.
DD really wants to go to the GS which does help a lot but I think she is a little over confident at the moment so I am trying to strike the balance between encouraging/praising her and making her understand there is still work to do.
500 odd take the test here for 96 places so its very competitive.
DD's school has not done SATS since end of Key Stage 1 but she got all 3s then which I think was a good result.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi Reading Mum,

Do to have 1 child only?
If so, would you consider moving if the chance of your girl get into a grammar school is increased from 1/5 to 1/3?

This was our MAIN consideration when selecting an AREA to pick a grammar school for our elder boy. Back in 2009, it was about 1 in 11 in London, about 1 in 8 in Buckinghamshire, and 1 in 6 in Gloucestershire, so we decided to relocate to Devon (CGS) from Australia. And my elder boy is now in CGS (Year 8).

You may wish to do a quick reality check with your girl by asking her the following 2 questions,

1) 8 x 9 (if she can give the correct answer, 72, within 5 seconds, she's very good.
Within 10 seconds, good. Within 15 seconds above average. Over 20 seconds
Or cannot answer, then she needs to DOUBLE her maths time to about
30 minutes 4 days a week for the coming 6 months to get her standard up)

2) what is the next no for 4, 9, 16, ? (i.e. ?)

Regarding English, you may wish to ask your girl to write a short dairy on every school day about what has happened at school, and in particular, what is her Happiest Moment at school. This serves 3 purposes.

First, you have a good idea of what is happening in class and at school.
Second, help her to practise 'organization of Thoughts' and Writing.
Third, writing Happy Moment making her HAPPY - thinking and feeling Positive.
And ultimately, develop Time Management Skill too - some children fail to finish their task in hand on time, which could cost them dearly in a 11 +.

Hope the above help.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Thanks - no we wouldn't move.
We are less than 1 mile from the GS but if that doesn't work out then she will stay at the selective Indie which is almost next door. I think she has the raw materials to get through but we do get a lot of silly mistakes at the moment - at least we can work on that with practice.
She is one of top 3 in the year for maths and English but we don't test for them unfortunately.
Because the Indie wants her to stay there they are not forthcoming about her chances anywhere else - not a surprise really :)
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Ops... just realised there was a typing error in my last reply to you, Reading Mum, the last line should have been,
'Do you have 1 child only?'

It appears that you are well prepared, so all the best to your daughter.
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Hi average Dad
The study group sounds good, too late for my yr 6 DD!

I couldn't quite believe what you wrote about relocating from Oz to go to CGs- were you really being serious? I did hear about a family coming from Hong Kong having found the school on the Internet- but thought this was a bit of an urban myth- maybe this was you?

Was that the only reason you chose UK/ Devon? I hope it's all going well for you and your DC is happy at Colyton- it is an amazing school with a great Head.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Hi nearly there,

It's actually too good to be true for my family.

We left London for NZ (Auckland then Wellington) back in 2001, then moved to OZ (Minyama then Pelican Waters in Queensland) in 2006 and back to Devon, UK in June 2010 after my elder boy being accepted by the CGS. When we left OZ, we had yet to sell our home - we're that rush!

I remember my wife asked me about a month ago, 'When was the last time you cried?'
I replied instantly, 'It's the day I received the letter from the CGS, advising us that our elder boy was accepted. Happy Tears.'

Although my wife & I were both born & grew up in HK, we are NOT the family you've in mind. We are, however, the good friends of that family also from HK after our 2 families bumping into each other in Seaton in Autumn 2010. In fact, four of us (i.e. the parents) just had lunch together two days ago in Lyme Regis. Their boy is in Yr 10 and just finished his GCSE examination.

My elder boy has been progressing at an amusing speed at CGS - you may wish to have a look of my blog (http://www.myboysmyboss.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) NO ADVERTISEMENT, NO SELLING. JUST PLAIN SHARING - you can then have a glimpse of life in CGS.

I remember my elder boy coming home asking me (part of his RS homework),
'What do you now think is Right but was once thought Wrong?' and
'What do you now think is Wrong but was once thought Right?'

Showing me his Geography homework,
'You're now doing a TV programme, 'Location, Location, Location', and you've to find homes for 3 different families with different needs. The 1st......'

Telling me how he'd to take turn to be a captain of a football team during a sport lesson, and how he'd to encourage others, leading by example, deploying the best person for the best position etc.

The above are just a few out of many examples, showing how my elder boy has been constantly & positively stimulated. My younger boy has been hearing so much about CGS from his elder brother, so he naturally, really wants to join his elder brother at CGS.

And my wife & I would like to see More Able, More Creative, More Eager to Learn children etc. coming from different backgrounds to attend CGS, enabling More Children (including our younger boy) to be Mutually Positively Stimulated.

I'm sure your girl is to get herself into a great school.
If it's CGS, then she'll see me every Thursday afternoon in the CGS library as I'm a parent helper.

Good Luck.