How does the wait list work?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dolcelatte

How does the wait list work?

Post by Dolcelatte »

We've been very lucky and DD has been offered a place at NLCS and Francis Holland but wait listed at Channing. We like all 3 schools for different reasons so are unable to come to an immediate decision, we want to be absolutely sure that we choose the school that will ultimately get the best out of her. So should we decide between FHS and NLCS and forget Channing because we may not even be offered a place there at all or should we wait to see what happens with the wait list? How likely is it to be offered a definite place if you're on the waiting list? Does anyone know how many offers are made at Channing? i'm assuming they over-offer....?

I do hope today brings good news for all of you
shootmenow

Re: How does the wait list work?

Post by shootmenow »

Um, Channing may not have made an offer on the supposition that you'd take NLCS. I think they talk to eachother more than they'll admit and they won't waste an offer. If you genuinely want Channing, phone them. They may offer it on the phone.
umm

Post by umm »

Dolcelatte wrote:they won't waste an offer
Agreed. Last year at the Channing interview we clearly picked up on the headmistress sounding us out about why we'd choose Channing over Habs or St Albans, especially as we lived nearer the other two. And in fact DD got offers from the other two and was waitlisted at Channing. We accepted Habs and then Channing said in May that we hadn't been successful. So if for geographic or other reasons you'd really prefer Channing, tell them, and make some NLCS-waitlisted girl very happy!! But if you're much nearer NLCS and St Albans, they'll have taken that into consideration.
Dolcelatte

Post by Dolcelatte »

We actually live much closer to Channing so their wait list offer is not based on geography and they couldn't be sure we'd be offered NLCS. How can they know it would be a waste of an offer? I called Channing this morning and asked how likely we are to be offered a place but they weren't able to give me an idea - it's far too soon. If they had spoken to our current school then they would have known how keen we were so maybe she just didn't cut the mustard. She's on cloud nine about Francis Holland and NLCS but disappointed about Channing - she thoroughly enjoyed the interview and was hopeful they would offer her a place.
umm

Post by umm »

That's difficult, then. I'll be honest, I don't know what they were looking for - our DD had a fine interview at Channing, and hated her day at St Albans (she got told off for chatting!), so we were all a bit stunned/bemused when it went the other way. Maybe from past experience they now assume (obviously wrongly) that a girl with NLCS potential (which I'm sure they can tell) isn't going to choose Channing over NLCS, but who knows? If we knew what went on behind closed doors there'd be far less posting on these forums!!

How long can you hold a place at NLCS though (or FHS for that matter)?
Dolcelatte

Post by Dolcelatte »

We have to decide by the 7th March but if we can do it sooner then we would prefer to so that whichever offer(s) we don't accept can be offered to others.
If as you say they can spot NLCS potential then surely FHS can too but they gave us a straight offer which we are very seriously considering...
Umm - have you been wait listed at Channing or was it an outright no? How did your parents interview go with the Headmistress?
umm

Post by umm »

No, we were waitlisted, but Habs was always our first choice and when we got it, we turned down St Albans and didn't reply to the Channing waitlist letter, just received a 'no' a few weeks later.

Our parents interview was fine - she asked what each of us did for a living (something no other school has done since), but pleasant enough, even though I think some of that may have come from stumbling across the fact that she and we had a mutual friend, and talking about that person for a bit. It was our first parental interview, so we had no idea what to expect. The Habs interview with the deputy head felt much more personal and interested in our DD. And I also choose to think that distance had something to do with it too, as the Channing headmistress did wonder how our DD would cope with the long daily journey.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

They will know what your DD scored in the consortium test as NLCS and Channing are in the same group. FH is in the other one. Your DD obviously did very well and exceeded the minimum score for Channing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now