How to refuse an offer?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stmichaelsfan

How to refuse an offer?

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

I am not very good at letter writing but would like to write a nice letter to those schools we are not taking. Please can anyone help with a brief guide ? Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: How to refuse an offer?

Post by hermanmunster »

Dear....

1 Thank them for the offer letter

2 Say how much DD enjoyed the exam days at Y and how hard they had obviously worked to make it a positive experience

3 Say DD has been fortunate to have been offered another school also

4 After much discussion at home, DD and we feel that the other school (not sure whether you want to name it - up to you) may suit her better, although it was clearly a very difficult decision as clearly Y is a lovely school too.

Many thanks for all your help through the selection time,
Amber

Post by Amber »

Couldn't add much to what Herman said but I would always advise politeness almost to the point of obsequiousness. You can never be 100% sure you won't need them again. Possibly I would give a reason for choosing the other school if it's something like distance or cost (eg 'was lucky enough to be offered a scholarship').

Nice position to be in - well done to your DC. :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:Couldn't add much to what Herman said but I would always advise politeness almost to the point of obsequiousness. You can never be 100% sure you won't need them again. Possibly I would give a reason for choosing the other school if it's something like distance or cost (eg 'was lucky enough to be offered a scholarship').

Nice position to be in - well done to your DC. :D
Agreed Amber - can't be too polite! They will be equally polite and offer good wishes for the future in return. Good point giving a specific reason eg distance
Stmichaelsfan

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

Thanks so much Hermanmunster and Amber, this is great !! Thanks again xx
MrsBrown

Post by MrsBrown »

Thanks - great advice.

:)
Stmichaelsfan

Post by Stmichaelsfan »

Sorry, One last question, do the letters have to be hand written or can i do a mail merge on computer. No, we didnt get a thousand offers, i am just v lazy :D Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

they don't need to be hand written but suggest that they might be individually thought about and written. Each school will have been different and hopefully you will be able to write something specific.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

It would take me longer to do a mail merge than to hand write them :oops:
Vic x
Amber

Post by Amber »

I would go for a standard letter but would vary it slightly and include individual details in each, for example "Cuthbert commented particularly on the welcome he was given by the other boys at St Cakes; however, after much discussion we decided that the travelling distance made St Biscuits the more practical option in the end'

I would always include a hand written signature though, with my name underneath in type.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now