Can scholarship offers ever be increased?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
londonmum35

Can scholarship offers ever be increased?

Post by londonmum35 »

I'm in the happy position of my DD being offered a 50% scholarship for NLCS. The indie schools were always intended as a back-up, in case things went wrong with the grammars, but receiving this offer has now swung things around and we are confused about what to do. Of course it still depends on the impending state school results, but I've heard rumours that 100% scholarships could offered to the right child - not heard this about any school in particular nor do I know if there's any truth to it at all. Has anyone heard of this happening? We were not in a position to apply for a bursary but we have other children to consider too money-wise, so not sure about our next step if she should be offered our first choice grammars (HBS). On published material 50% is the highest they offer. Do we dare ask? We are visiting the school tomorrow. Would appreciate any advice.

Well done to all others who made it to the schools they wanted, I've been happy to read all the good news on the forum. Good luck to those who may be on waiting lists, I'm sure there will be a great deal of movement.
hermanmunster

Re: Can scholarship offers ever be increased?

Post by hermanmunster »

Think 100% actual scholarships are rare and those who have 100% of the fees covered are actually in receipt fo a bursary as part of it.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

They would view it as cheeky!
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

50% is supposed to be the highest award at all HMC schools unless you are elegible for bursary funding. Some schools do seem to still offer higher, e.g. 75% if a double scholarship is involved, but the consensus seems to be that they are not supposed to. If the school wanted to offer a higher award then it would have been in the offer letter. I can't think it should be something that is sensibly asked for. Unless someone comes along with specific successful experience at this school of doing so and can advise you how to go about it then I would avoid it.
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

Thanks all, I won't mention it tomorrow then unless someone else posts here to advise me otherwise. Thanks for the help. I see someone else has posted today about NLCS compared with HBS, will watch with interest, just don't know how to weight it up if we find ourselves in that position.
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

We've been offered scholarship too. Whilst we wait for GS results to come out should we send an acknowledgment to the school to thank them and let them know we are carefully considering their offer?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

MangoMum
MangoMum
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I've noticed a lot of threads recently about parents changing their minds because of a surprise scholarship, eventhough the school was a back-up or last choice. Scholarships can flatter the ego and draw us into a school, even make us feel guilty at the thought of turning it down. But, try and remember why that school wouldn't have been your first choice in the first place. If it was a close second then fine. If NLCS was of no interest if HBS was on offer then don't lose sight of that.

I speak from experience and the schools that swayed us ended up leaving us disappointed.
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

I think that's right WFG, but 50% of a lot of money is a lot of money and if it's evenly balanced then I am not sure that it's something most people can ignore. If there is a clear favourite and there are no financial issues then I agree with you. We thought we might be in this very position. DS original first choice school being very competetive, we were not expecting the scholarship offer he received. We had decided to ignore the scholarship offers and make a decision on the basis of the school, but we are in the fortunate position of being able to make that choice. What I can honestly say, however, is that the scholarship interview process and getting to know the schools better has made the decision much more difficult that what our initial choices had been. Had he not received the scholarship offer from his first choice we might have been swayed, not for financial reason, but because

1. The school had obviously singled him out as a child that could contribute to their environment, I am loathe to believe that schools make these offers simply to boost academic results, although that is clearly part of it
2. The additional responsibility in terms of behaviour and perfomance that is expected of a scholar (provided a child is up to the pressure)
3. The additional responsibility it places on the school, having identified a child's natural talent, to ensure that they excel.

All of these things come into the mix quite regardless of finances. However, I agree that there is no way that a scholarship should persuade you to send a child to a school you do not think is the best for them. Like you I think this should only matter if it really is very evenly matched. I can see then why a scholarship would be persuasive.

In so far as writing to the school is concerned, I have found that a phone call to let them know what you are doing is fine, but if you feel you want to write then why not.
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

CPM - it's interesting what you say about the responsibilty etc of a scholar. My family are saying that the scholarship is something DD could put on her university applications etc, and that she will receive certain benefits from it - but again is this true? Again was going to try and non-cheekily ask tomorrow.

We never allowed ourselves to really consider NLCS properly in the first place as we always imagined it out of our league, didn't want to fall in love with a school we were unlikely to have, only if others fell through, because of the cost. Now suddenly having to make v quick decisions.
11plusmad

Post by 11plusmad »

Hi waiting for godot. Do you mind if i ask youwhat experience you hav
e had of being let down?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now