Where to Start

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sloopy

Where to Start

Post by Sloopy »

Hi all, I've been reading the site for a while and have been impressed by the help it provides. As volunteers you guys are great!

Please excuse me if I've missed a similar thread where I could have picked up on the answers to my questions.

Here's our (dd's) situation:

On allocation day (1st mar) we are fully expecting to be allocated the local comp. Dd undertook the Calderdale 11+ where it is all about ranking rather than a pass score. She was ranked 355 and there are 310 places. Those who are ranked 311 to 370 go onto the reallocation list and await to hear if there are any children who have turned down their offer. There are always are some but to 355 would be a miracle!

My question is what type of appeal could this be? Could it be a non-qualification or an over-subscription or even both? But if it was both which would you need to focus on?.

I have seen some comments that because she is on the re-allocation list this means she is deemed qualified and therefore may not have to worry about proving her ability?Disappointingly the difference between rank 355 and 310 is thought to be very small, say 2 marks! And by September the points difference between 355 and offer of a place will be even less!

Of course, certainly having read this forum, we need to demonstrate a strong appeal case, (i believe that successful appeals in Calderdale are almost non-existent) but this question seems like the best way to start.

Hope you can help.
Thanks
Sloop.
Etienne

Re: Where to Start

Post by Etienne »

My question is what type of appeal could this be? Could it be a non-qualification or an over-subscription or even both?
"If you have evidence of very high academic ability – and possibly of extenuating circumstances too – then, in addition to any arguments dealing with the oversubscription part of the appeal, you may wish to put forward a case that your child was expected to perform even more highly in the 11+ than he/she did."
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But if it was both which would you need to focus on?.
Focus on whatever strong points you have - relevant to your appeal. The more, the better! :)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sloopy wrote:My question is what type of appeal could this be? Could it be a non-qualification or an over-subscription or even both? But if it was both which would you need to focus on?.

I have seen some comments that because she is on the re-allocation list this means she is deemed qualified and therefore may not have to worry about proving her ability?Disappointingly the difference between rank 355 and 310 is thought to be very small, say 2 marks! And by September the points difference between 355 and offer of a place will be even less!
Hi,

I don't know the Calderdale grammars or appeals. I do agree that if your daughter is on the waiting list, she is deemed to have passed the test, so technically the appeal would be on over-subscription grounds and you don't have to prove her academic suitability.

However, if you have any evidence as to why your daughter didn't do as well as she should on the day of the test, you should include it. For instance, a panel might just be sympathetic if you could prove that there was a death in the family the night before the test. There's plenty of advice in the FAQ's!

Good luck for Thursday.
Capers
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Sloopy,

I don't have much to add to what has already been said above. Hopefully, later this week, you will get a much clearer picture of where you stand regarding qualification and position on the waiting list. Many of the children who ranked in the top 310 will hopefully be off to other schools.

Best wishes for Thursday.
Sloopy

Post by Sloopy »

Thanks All

I understand and agree.

Fundamentally I do think our dd is of the right calibre and would benefit from the school, the difficulty will be arguing the case. I am not aware of any successful Calderdale appeals and so they must have a very hard line.

Etienne, would you say that straight level 5's, a head teachers wholehearted recommendation & a good solid pre-test pass (an official test) demonstrates high academic ability?

Mitasol, we will wait until tomorrow but I imagine the writing is on the wall (or the offer letter in this case) :D

Sloop.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Etienne, would you say that straight level 5's, a head teachers wholehearted recommendation & a good solid pre-test pass (an official test) demonstrates high academic ability?
It would be a good starting point, if the aim were to establish grammar school ability - although appeal panels in selective areas know there is a lack of consistency in headteacher recommendations (i.e. some heads are over generous, some may be too strict).

If I've understood correctly, you don't need to prove grammar school ability, although - depending on what sort of case you feel able to put forward - you might wish to try and demonstrate that a higher score could have been expected. It depends which areas of the 11+ showed a relative weakness. If in VR, then an appellant with several exceptionally good CAT or NFER verbal reasoning scores (e.g. at the 95th percentile), or a similar standard in an educational psychologist's test, would have alternative evidence for the panel to consider. If in maths, then a 5a prediction, and a supportive statement from the headteacher (e.g. "gifted & talented, best maths student in a high performing school, entered for level 6") might be well-placed to try and argue that the 11+ result was a blip and not a fair reflection of ability.

Where score is one of the oversubscription criteria, and if there are a lot of appellants, then I would imagine the more compelling the case would need to be (in terms of academic evidence and/or reasons for wanting a place). Ultimately, though, it's a decision for the individual panel.
Etienne
Sloopy

Post by Sloopy »

We've had confirmation that our dd has made the qualifying standard but because the Grammar school is over-subscribed she hasn't been offered.

Pretty disappointing now we've seen the letter!

:(

Sloop.