How much is too much?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nif229

How much is too much?

Post by nif229 »

Hi Patricia

We have been familiarising our daughter since January to prepare her for the 11+ in October. She has been having weekly 1/2 sessions and more recently progressed to a weekly practice paper. She is now quite confident in all question types and is consistently getting 94+% in her practice papers. Where are we best to go from here? We are very aware that we still have 5 months left before the exam and don't want her getting bored. Do you have any suggestions please?

HELP!!!

nif229
mousaka

Post by mousaka »

My son has a tutor - one two hours session a week, plus he usually gets 1VR, 1NVR, 1 English test , 1 maths plus essey to write. It takes usually
around 1 to 1.5 hrs a day. More at the weekend when it comes to composing stories, which are not his strongest side.
Nothing more could be done. He is pretty cool about it . Lazy sometimes, however it became our routine and he realises that it has to be done.
We still find time for sports: swimming sessions, tennis , football with mates and occasional trip to town for concerts etc , and instrument.
Even if he does not pass I would never regret time spent for his learning . He is making a wonderful progress, his learning routine improved greatly and is founding his mock Y5 Sats very easy. So IT WORKS!
I would not worry about 'too much' too much . Kids can adjust wonderfuly. And it is only few more months to go and then if they pass who cares about the rest of Y 6?!!!
GemmaB

Post by GemmaB »

Hello
We are taking things fairly low key, but as well as papers etc we are doing word of the day, word games, dictionary word finding games i.e. name a letter and I read definition and she has to guess word and vice versa - anything to be a bit different. Lots of ideas on tips pages
have you tried the IPS daily tests they don't take long to keep momentum going

sounds like you are doing really well !!!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nif229

Sounds as if your daughter is doing very well, you do have to keep up the momentum. What tests have you got left.?

Dear GemmaB

I very much like the idea of your vocab games, vocab always being the biggest problem with NFER VR

Have you seen my free word list and compound word games? Can be found towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wnload.php

Patricia
nif229

How much is too much?

Post by nif229 »

Hi Patricia

Thanks for replying to my question. We have done all the IPS 30 minute 50 question papers and 2 of the AFN 1hr 100 question papers. I think as far as Bucks goes we just have the rest of the AFN papers and then the NFER ones that are 50 minute 80 question ones!! I feel like I'm gouing through this whole process as well as our daughter, it's absolutely exhausting isn't it?!

GemmaB

Your voab games do sound good, we have a diferent variation where we use the verbal reasoning word list.

Thanks for all your help.

niff229 (5 months and counting)
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

maybe a break? not for long, but enough to come back in Sept refreshed. She really should be fine. I was neurotic etc but we did very little in this term, particularly in the summer hols, a break was required from my neuroticism. i reverted to normality and being neurotic in sept.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nf229

A break in the summer holidays is not allowed, the exams for Bucks are at the very beginning of October, you really must keep up the momentum during the holidays.

AFN are easier than the real tests, as there are many tests which replicate the real thing, I would leave these alone and use them to dip into, sections at a time as and when.

I would get onto the Susan Daughtrey [Bright Sparks] They both look like the real tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck

Patricia

Ps you say the NFER are 80 questions 50 minutes are you sure, have they published a new set, they are normally 85 questions and minus HIKNOS [ as identified by IPS]
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Patricia

Yes, my mistake about the NFER papers, it's all so confusing. I've dowloaded the tutors e-papers and we'll start those. I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks ever so much.

Hooray for the forum!!

nif229
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

sorry - muddled with kent, exams in January.
bexley 2

Post by bexley 2 »

If my child needed anything like as much these children are put through before their tests I would doubt whether they really are grammer school material.