Questions about Tiffin Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Saffron

Questions about Tiffin Boys

Post by Saffron »

Hi

I'd be grateful if someone could answer a couple of questions about Tiffin Boys - just for my own personal interest. Firstly has the school sorted out the black hole in its finances (from the crisis in 2009)? Is it in good shape financially now? And secondly, for parents with boys at the school at the present time, how do you find it? Has it lived up to your expectations? Does 'independent study' work ok - has it completely replaced set homework?

Thanks in advance!
suzanne

Re: Questions about Tiffin Boys

Post by suzanne »

Last edited by suzanne on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Hi Suzanne

Thanks for your reply. Your post on another thread about Tiffin Girls' £500k pensions deficit got me wondering about Tiffin Boys' financial situation. I understand that Tiffin Boys suggests that parents contribute £520 annually so that must raise quite a bit for the school.

The open day isn't until July by which stage we will be well into our exam preparation and I would love to know more about the school, to get a feel for it - is it well-run, are the children happy, that it's not just an exam factory (not my opinion but one that I've heard voiced)?
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

I would really appreciate if someone could give me more insight into Tiffin Boys, especially their pastoral care and independent study policy.

Thanks
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

:( Anyone?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Saffron wrote::( Anyone?
I wonder why parents of pupils of these schools are not coming forward with their experience. These schools are fantastic, as much as I know, and am sure parents have only good experience to share with us.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

I know Tiffin is a great school on paper but I'd love to hear more about the other side of things...Anyone :?:
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Hi Saffron,

Sorry I can't say anything about Tiffins as my DS chose Sutton Grammar instead. But if you are considering Sutton Grammar, DS is thoroughly enjoying his time there.

Pastoral Care: There was one time that I thought I should ring the school and let them know of certain things, DS had let them know himself in the form lesson (they have one lesson with the form tutor per fortnight) and the class then discussed the issue.

Homework: I thought they were not giving enough homework :oops: :oops: But at a parents information evening the school explained that they give homework if it is appropriate and relevant to what they are doing in class, rather than having a homework timetable.

Clubs: they have a varied selection of clubs at lunch, after school and lots of sports on Saturday mornings.

(Sorry it doesn't answer your question)
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Ah thanks 999 mum, really nice of you to reply. :D Sutton Grammar is also on our list so it's good to hear about that too. From searching through this forum, it seems that Sutton Grammar parents are more willing to discuss their school than Tiffin ones - or maybe that's just my perception of things. I like what I hear about Sutton Grammar though and wish their open day was a bit closer to the Tiffin one so we could compare the two side by side. SG's homework policy sounds sensible enough - homework for homework's sake can be a real drag.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Hi, I have a son at Tiffin. The pastoral care has been very good IMO. Independent Study has certainly not taken over from homework. The boys get set homework and are expected to do some IS every evening. The homework isn't too much though and is very manageable.