Admission in Slough or Bucks grammer school for 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hetal11plus

Admission in Slough or Bucks grammer school for 2013

Post by hetal11plus »

Hi,

I am new to this forum. My daughter will be appearing for 11+ in Sep/Oct 2012 for year 7 admission in 2013. We live in Reading and Reading has only 1 grammer school Kendrick. However we can still provide options up to 4 schools in CAF. I need to know if she appears in Langley grammer school exams which is slough consortium and appears in exam in Burnham grammer school which is in Bucks then can she get the admission if she gets good score provided we still live in Reading. Do we really need to move to either place and if yes then when. I don't want to loose Kendrick option but still wants nearby grammer school options. Only issue I found is that Kendrick is very wide Catchment area where as Slough and Bucks as many grammer schools and they have designated catchment areas. I just don't want to move now as we don't know how the exam will be conducted. I need to know do Slough and Bucks give admission to non catchment area pupils. If not then is it worth appearing for those schools. If anyone has better idea please let me know as I need to decide whether to move in area where there are number of grammer schools or not.

Thx

Hetal
scary mum

Re: Admission in Slough or Bucks grammer school for 2013

Post by scary mum »

The Bucks grammar schools work on attaining a certain score (121) and then it is on distance, within catchment initially, and then out of catchment if there are still places available. There is a sticky at the top of the Bucks section showing how far each school took pupils from in the last few years, so that should give you an idea. I don't know about Berks, but someone will!

Here it is (it wasn't in the Bucks section, sorry!):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Langley has a specific range of postcodes that it will take children from.

SL0 - 9
TW3 - 5, TW7, TW13 -15, TW18 - 20
UB1 - 10
W5, W7, W13
HA0 - 5
RG12, RG42

They say on their website that if you are not in these areas then they won't even test you as they already have too many children to choose from who achieve the mark of 111. They select in pass mark order so you are unlikely to get into Langley (for example) with the 111 qualifying mark, no matter how close you live to the school.

Not sure about the other Slough schools - you will need to go onto their websites to check what areas they cover. Langley tested my son because we were able to prove we were moving into the SL post code area before September 2012 when he would have started Year 7.
dlb

Post by dlb »

I guess if you are nearer Slough you will have more choice - 1 grammar exam for 4 schools in the consortium. You can still sit Kendrick from there too.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
hetal11plus

Post by hetal11plus »

Thanks a lot everyone who responded. It means being in Reading there is only 1 option. This is really unfair as Kendrick has very large catchment area so pupils from other's county can join and Reading pupils can't even allowed for test.

Is there any other grammer school where there is a possible chance of applying test and selection being in reading.

Hetal
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Only 2 selective schools in Reading (both were grammar but now academies) - Kendrick for girls, Reading School for boys. After that it's Slough, OOC application to Bucks or Indies if you don't want one of the poor selection of comps. Reading girls has a selective stream but I have no info on that to add.
hetal11plus

Post by hetal11plus »

Thanks Reading Mum,

I got the information that Slough is not going to anticipate any one OOC to even sit in exam that means it is not an option at all. Even Bucks looks like oversubscribed so just giving an exam will not help. I need to find out reading girls school but doesn't seem to be that popular as not heard much about it.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I think it is only Langley that says no one from outside of those post codes - I don't know how the others work. I think Bucks (well some of them) accept from out of county - one of my son's friends is hoping for Aylesbury and he lives in Bedfordshire.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Personally I don't see Reading Girls as somewhere to aspire to but it might be better than some of the other options. They test NVR, VR & Maths
hetal11plus

Post by hetal11plus »

Thanks faitaccompli,

If you get the details of other Slough grammer school then let me know. I am checking on school sites but there isn't any clarity about the catchment or OOC.

It is a good to know that some of the Bucks considers OOC. I need to check in details about other schools. I had only Burnham grammer and Langley grammer in consideration for OOC. I hope Slough grammer and Heschel grammer school should allow for OOC.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now