English Comprehension-URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nikku

English Comprehension-URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

Post by nikku »

Hi
I am in a little panic, my DS is struggling with comprehension-we read together almost everyday now, he seems to understand the text but at school he gets below 50% in his comprehension test!
How do I tackle this.
He loves reading, he is into Alex Rider at the moment.

HELP!! :?
MamaCass

Re: English Comprehension-URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

Post by MamaCass »

English can be the hardest thing. I would suggest you get the Bond comprehension papers and sit and do them with him - if he doesn't get the correct answer, what is the correct answer, and why? Find the specific place in the text. Look at how many marks each question gives and discuss how that means you need something to gain you each mark. Forget about timings etc. Don't start with really hard stuff. It's all about learning technique. It took my DD ages to get the hang of it too. Good luck.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

How old is your DS? I have a CGP book 1 Reading which is full of comprehensions - fiction and non-fiction, together with the 'question types' so you know how to answer them.

I've seen some Schofield and sims ones too, but I don't know if they are any good or not. Hopefully, someone might be able to shed some light on these. I think S&S are supposed to be quite rigorous.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
nikku

Post by nikku »

Hi fatbanans & Mammacass
My DS is in year 5, I am doing the Bond books, we have started with bond comprehension 9-10-progress very slow, we don't have much time!
I will have a look at the CPG book-
Thank you for the tips!

fatbananas wrote:How old is your DS? I have a CGP book 1 Reading which is full of comprehensions - fiction and non-fiction, together with the 'question types' so you know how to answer them.

I've seen some Schofield and sims ones too, but I don't know if they are any good or not. Hopefully, someone might be able to shed some light on these. I think S&S are supposed to be quite rigorous.
nikku

Post by nikku »

Having said that he get 50% and below in school tests.
But at home he doesn't do too badly in the Bond English 9-10
:?
nikku wrote:Hi
I am in a little panic, my DS is struggling with comprehension-we read together almost everyday now, he seems to understand the text but at school he gets below 50% in his comprehension test!
How do I tackle this.
He loves reading, he is into Alex Rider at the moment.

HELP!! :?
pintux

Post by pintux »

My DD has a problem with comprehension and struggled with some of the Bond books. I have to say, I personally did not find these books that great. We finally decided to download all the previous year papers for independenet schools from various sites mention in these forums and they were a much better practice.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

You can also try "Haydn Richards Junior English Book with answers". They have short comprehensions which will build your DC's confidence.
Go thorough the comprehension together and make him/her understand between the lines. Discuss the questions in the beginning and let yr DC write it in their own interpretation. Go over the answers again, correcting where ever required.
This book also gives you good background on Grammar topics.
I hope you find it useful.
Remember, slow and steady wins the race. You still got time.
seonaid

Post by seonaid »

seonaid

Post by seonaid »

I received an email tonight that my 10 year old is really stretched with the comprehension, slow and missing questions and already stressing, i enjoyed reading your posts so I can help at home what is CGP Book have googled it and cant find it, can someone give me its whole name and maybe publisher, I have ordered the Richard Haydn series
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Hi Seonaid

see the link below. you should be able to have a look inside it from this website but may find it cheaper if you type it into google. :)

http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/product ... ook=E6R121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now