Waiting lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
studymum

Waiting lists

Post by studymum »

I know it's really hard to say in any given year but does anyone know how far down the waiting list boys have historically been offered a place at Reading?

cocoa0101

Re: Waiting lists

Post by cocoa0101 »

I know for sure that for the 2011 intake, number 124 on the waiting list was offered a place after the first term. I guess each year is different though.
studymum

Post by studymum »

Thanks for reply. Trying not to get my hopes up as was so desperately disappointed for DS this morning but found out he's in teens on waiting list. We didn't get our second choice school either so it's been a down day.

So close but yet so far!
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

My son was 2010 intake and a friend of his was ranked 118 and got a place before school started. Im not sure where he was on the waiting list though, if lots of boys didn't have Reading as first choice, I suppose he might have been quite high up the waiting list although he did say that he wasn't the last to be given a place so there must be hope.
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Studymum,

Reading school admissions are known to be very helpful. I suggest you leave it a couple of weeks and then call up to see how the list is moving, hopefully for you, very quickly! Good luck
woodywoodpecker

Post by woodywoodpecker »

Hi there studymum, was similarly disappointed this morning as you were, I sympathise. Wondering how you found out about waiting list just out of interest. We have not had letter yet, hope to get it in post tomorrow. Thanks
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

I have heard today that admissions at Reading have told one or two parents their position. If your letter does not arrive tomorrow, they are able to tell you over the phone.
studymum

Post by studymum »

Thanks for the advice all :) Nice to know he wasn't far out even if he doesn't get in - hopefully will make him feel better.

Woodywoodpecker - We haven't received a letter yet either. I phoned Reading Borough Council admissions and asked them if we made the waiting list.

Studymum
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

Dear studymum,

I'd suggest talking to the admissions lady at the school, she was very helpful. In the teens sounds like you're in with a chance. Alot of the movement happens in March then it seems to be a slow steady trickle after that.

Last year DS was ranked 124, he didn't get a place but ended up 5th on the list by June (when I stopped checking as we mentally moved on) so it seems pretty hopeful. If you're low teens I'd think it was quite likely but it probably varies a fair bit year to year.

Cocoa0101 -was it 2010 you were referring too? I know it went to 124 in the 2010 cohort but it certainly didn't in 2011. Apparently 2010 was an unusual year.

Good luck.
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Hi cestlavie,

I was referring to the 2010 exam year but 2011 intake. My friend's son was 123 on the list, he declined the offer which was subsequently taken up by 124 who started this January at Reading.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now