Appeal based on Standardised Scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Noli

Appeal based on Standardised Scores

Post by Noli »

At my son's school 4 people have successfully passed the 11+. All born September, October and November 2000.

My son was unsuccessful in obtaining a place and he was born in July 2001. All his reports and feedback from the school put him in same ability band as the four that passed, if not of a slightly higher.

Unfortunately he never passed. Well done for the kids that did.

One question this raised is that I thought that the standardised score was supposed to remove birth month discrepancies. This should result in a flat distribution by month of birth across the intake. 120 applications after standardised scores should lead to 10 per month - ideally.

Is it possible to get the statistics to verify that the standardised score is actually doing what it is supposed to do?

In addition if it shows that the majority of places offered were shifted to the oldest in the year would that be sufficient to request a review?

Thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: Appeal based on Standardised Scores

Post by hermanmunster »

I am sure I have seen numbers of admissions by month somewhere on the forum - will have a look. Which area are you in?
Noli

Post by Noli »

Birmingham...

I'll take another look to see if I can find it.

Noli
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/r ... xamination" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

found the link above for Lincolnshire - there was no difference by month there
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I see no reason why you couldn't make a FOI request, but I'd keep this quite separate from the issue of how best to approach an appeal.

As far as appeals are concerned, my advice is not to challenge the system (unless there's been maladministration)! If you think the 11+ is not a fair reflection of your child's ability (and no system will be perfect), then the basis of your case needs to be alternative evidence of high ability - the more, the better!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also B4:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The fact that the result of an individual reasoning test may be unreliable raises questions about the reliability of reasoning tests used in the 11+, but it’s not a good idea to challenge the system at appeal, or to argue that your child should be given the “benefit of the doubt”. The system has to be the same for everyone (apart from reasonable adjustments for special needs). However, at an appeal you have the opportunity to come up with alternative academic evidence to try and prove that the result was not a true reflection of your child’s ability."
Etienne
Noli

Post by Noli »

Thanks for the quick response.

I had a chat with my son about it and will wait until the scores are published before we decide.

As I said to my son either he didn't work hard enough or he isn't suitable for grammar school, or he didn't work hard enough. If he didn't work hard enough then he should chalk the feeling in his gut up to experience and make sure that he does work harder next time. He only has himself to blame. If he isn't suited then he best not attending as he will not benefit.

I will ask for his papers to be remarked if:

1. His scores are way lower than he was averaging in tests.
2. His scores were just under the cut off mark.

If they are within 20 points then it is what it is and he'll do well at the comprehensive school as we will support him as best as we can.

Noli
capers123

Post by capers123 »

He could also have been feeling a bit under the weather, or a disturbance in the room on the day, feeling extra stressed (do you put more pressure on him than other parents would?).

The difference between passing & not passing can be one point - or even the same score but ranked differently (by distance from school, sibling already at school, whatever)!

The one thing I'm sure of is it's not because of age weighting. That has been proved to be fair, yet parents of both older & younger children feel it's unfair (the best proof that it is fair :D ).
Capers
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Noli wrote: He only has himself to blame.
Noli
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That is just a horrible thing to say.
patra7

Post by patra7 »

Noli wrote:He only has himself to blame.

Noli
I cannot believe you just said that. :shock:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Noli wrote:

As I said to my son either he didn't work hard enough or he isn't suitable for grammar school, or he didn't work hard enough. If he didn't work hard enough then he should chalk the feeling in his gut up to experience and make sure that he does work harder next time. He only has himself to blame. If he isn't suited then he best not attending as he will not benefit.

Noli
Noli - perhaps you should take a little step back and remember that these schools are ridiculously oversubscribed and there are any number of reasons why your child has not achieved a place in the school.

I think your child has done his best - he's only 10 - he cannot be blamed for failing to secure a place at a grammar.

Good luck to him wherever he goes, I'm sure he will do very well
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now