St Albans Boys or Parmiter's?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chapuza

St Albans Boys or Parmiter's?

Post by chapuza »

DS has offers from both (and scholarship to St A). Finding it hard to decide. All thoughts very welcome.
Sportsmum

Re: St Albans Boys or Parmiter's?

Post by Sportsmum »

Money aside - and knowing staff and boys at both schools - if it were my choice - it would be St Albans all the way.
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

Why would you go for St A?
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

I prefer the school, I prefer the students and I also prefer the staff
tense

Post by tense »

Sportsmum wrote:I prefer the school, I prefer the students and I also prefer the staff
Goodness, that sounds like a sweeping condemnation of Parmiter's!

Chapuza, they are obviously very different schools, not sure if you can really compare them as you could, perhaps, Parmiter's & Watford Boys, or St Albans & Aldenham, if you know what I mean.

I can assure you that Parmiter's is a fab school, with lovely students & great staff (there are one or two exceptions of course as anywhere :wink: ). My DC love it. However, going private was not an option for us & I'm sure St Albans has much to offer.

Which did your DS prefer?
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

tense wrote:
Sportsmum wrote:I prefer the school, I prefer the students and I also prefer the staff
Goodness, that sounds like a sweeping condemnation of Parmiter's!
Not at all - I was asked why - and I gave my reasons. I prefer them. It is not as if I slated Parmiters - indeed were we in the catchment area I may have seriously considered it. I simply prefer St Albans.

Seriously - most parents and/or students get a gut feeling about a school - and 9 times out of 10 it is better to go for the school that you feel most positive about. There are schools that I wouldn't entertain sending any child of mine to that parents rave about. It is possibly right for their child - but not right for mine.

Instinct is powerful and should never be totally ignored. Good luck with whichever school you choose - it is hard and I do sympathise with you.
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

I would opt for Parmiter's. St Albans School is excellent but it is quite similar to an excellent state school which Parmiter's most certainly is. Why would you opt to pay fees? Even with a scholarship, imagine all the private tutoring and educationally enhancing holidays you would be able to afford by not signing up for fees.

Good luck. It's a nice problem to have. :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

But why would you need private tutoring if it is a good school?
I agree with tense that it's not really a fair comparison between an independent school and a state school - they are different beasts altogether!
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

zorro wrote:But why would you need private tutoring if it is a good school?
I agree with tense that it's not really a fair comparison between an independent school and a state school - they are different beasts altogether!
I'm a SA parent and private tutoring is common, limited only by costs.

My eldest son's maths A level tutor had lots of Habs boys and girls, SA boys, SHSG, and various state school pupils on his books. He also assisted some of them with STEP.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I'm confused! :? I thought you meant that Chapuza would save money by sending her DS to Parmiters instead of St Albans and use that money for private tutoring.
I am really surprised that DC at St Alban's and Habs have private tutors as these 2 schools have such excellent reputations. Why is this necessary? The boys must have been very academically able to get into the schools in the first place and I am sure the teaching is of a very high standard.
I have a couple of friends whose DC are having tutoring for GCSE's but they are both at very average state schools.
I can also understand it if a child needs extra help to catch up in a specific subject if they are struggling but not for bright children at the top independent schools. Can you explain as I don't want to be forking out for tutoring ( my DS takes his GCSE's next year and I wouldn't want to hold him back if this is the norm in order to achieve top grades).
P.S. Sorry to be dense -but what is STEP?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now