to appeal or not to appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
greentea

to appeal or not to appeal?

Post by greentea »

Hello all, I am new to this but would be ever so grateful for some advice. We recieved notification yesterday that my daughter was unsuccessful in gaining a place at our one and only local grammar school due to her results which ranked her as 140 out of 370. In the two weeks preceeding the 11plus exam she done her mock SATS, was informed by her father who is newly married that he was having another baby, he also moved house on the day of the exam and she was experiencing migraines for which she was not only sent home for but which i have evidence of taking her to the doctors. During her last 2 months in year 5 her SATs were all level 5s, during this 2 weeks before the 11plus her SATs came out at a shocking level 3 for all!! Then her 11plus seen her with an average score. thenight before the test I informed her that I was going to cancel it as I felt she was not fit and well enough....cue masses of tears as her friends were taking it the next day...I relented and let her sit it...BIG MISTAKE! Basically, her overall academic performance dropped for a period of about a month and she is currently back up to her level 5s again. Do you think I have a case for mitigating circumstances? Sorry to go on but the thought of appeal worries me. I have her headteachers full support by the way. Thanks so much for reading this. :D
May i also add that school are going to provide past school reports, SATs score, predicted levels and evidence that she is 3 and 1/2 years above the average age for reading. Thanks.
Etienne

Re: TO APPEAL OR NOT TO APPEAL!!

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

The new Code of Practice which came into force on 1st February makes no mention at all of extenuating circumstances. This is not necessarily to say that extenuating circumstances might not be discussed at a hearing, but they shouldn't be the basis of an appeal.

The focus should always be on academic evidence - the more, the better!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
greentea

Post by greentea »

Thanks Etienne, so are you saying that the focus of our appeal should be based on how suited she is to the academic nature of the grammar school, fully supported by evidence? Should we just mention briefly the dip in performance?
Thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Firstly, there's the academic side. I think you should refer to all the academic evidence you can assemble to prove that - under normal circumstances - she could reasonably have been expected to score highly enough to secure a place. The wider the range of academic evidence, the better.

(Even though the new Code makes no mention of extenuating circumstances, it seems to me perfectly reasonable to explain the background to the dip in performance - but don't spend too much time on this!)

Secondly, there's the possibility that the school is, or will be, oversubscribed for year 7. You therefore need to come up with reasons for wanting a place at this particular school.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be worth taking the time to read right through the Q&As - there may be answers there to questions you haven't even thought of! :)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Etienne
greentea

Post by greentea »

Hello again, hope you are well. I have received notification of my appeal in two weeks and needless to say i am feeling very nervous about how to present my case at the hearing. Basically I have submitted evidence from the headteacher that very strongly supported my daughters appeal which gave evidence of her academic ability, that she had reached her end of school targets by the end of year 5, and that she had been ill in the run up to the test. They provided school reports that showed exceptional performance and evidence of grades. The doctor also supported the application by saying how she had been to the doctors in the lead up to the test. My daughter is now also sitting Level 6 papers in her SATS coming up. I just wondered about the first stage of the appeal and what to ask when all the other parents are present/ Do I mention things such as the net capacity assessment that says the school could actually accommodate more students? Do I mention that they have 6 over PAN in the year 11 group and that I now that that year group has exceeded all other year groups in terms of grades in the last ten years? My appeal is oversubscrption and non-qualification.
i really dont want to mess this up!!
thanks so much if you can help
greentea

Post by greentea »

sorry can i just add that the headteachers letter of support described how she was 5a for everything at the end of year 5, that she dropped to level 3bs !!!! in september (the two weeks before test) and that she was now back at level 5a for everything as of feb. She also mentioned that her reading age is 3 and 1/2 years above chronological age.
along with past reports showing exceptional performance does this seem strong enough evidence? we have mitigating circumstances too with evidence but thought we best focus on academic due to new code of conduct.
Help!!!! Please. Thankyou
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As far as I can tell, your case based on academic evidence and extenuating circumstances looks quite good - but only your particular panel can say whether it's sufficient.

It may not be enough if you omit reasons for wanting a place! (See the link I gave to C2 further up.)

I wouldn't worry about the school's case - various parts of section C in our Q&As address the issue of how to approach stage 1.
Etienne
greentea

Post by greentea »

Hello again,
I have read all the appeal advice and just wondered whether you might clarify something for me please? I have recieved, upon request, the schools results for the last 5 academic years for year 9 students. The year group who have 126 (6 over PAN) have higher results than all the other years of the last 5 years, including when they only had 119. Is this something that I should draw attention to in stage 1? Obviously in a non threatening manner, just pointing out how they have coped so brilliantly with 6 over PAN in the past and is there any hard evidence to suggest that they couldnt take more than 120 this academic year? They have had no changes in buildings since this 126 year group also.
Many thanks
Green tea :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

See:
Q&As, C1 b (iii)
Q&As, C8
Etienne
greentea

Post by greentea »

Hi, just a little update to say had my appeal hearing yesterday. It was ok but I don't think I have a very chance of being successful. I was talking to other parents before stage 1 and every single one were appealing as their child had scored highly enough but they hadn't put this school as first choice. After my individual hearing at stage 2, I was commended on my preparation and how strong a case I had put forward however...I was not at all prepared for the headmasters summing up! He basically talked about how much our allocated school had to offer, all it's strengths an achievements etc...also asking me questions about this school and how my daughter would do well wherever she went! I felt so underprepared with my knowledge of this school and felt it may have let me down. Anyway...I shall find out next Friday. I shall be sure to let you all know. Thanks for all the help on this forum, it was such a saviour. X