Cut off distance and waiting lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shahinoor

Cut off distance and waiting lists

Post by shahinoor »

Just phoned the very helpful Head's PA from Beths School.

Basically Beths cutover distance this year is 5.23 miles.

My son is 5.96 miles so he is on the 'waiting list'

we now have to wait till post 16th Mar after people have accepted their offers to see
if he moves up the list.............
starmum2000

Re: Cut off distance and waiting lists

Post by starmum2000 »

Oh thats not very much further - did they tell you what place you were on the waiting list? It might only be 1 or 2 at that distance :)
Did your son get offered another one of your preferences?
Fingers crossed for you.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

wondered if you go on the waiting list, does that mean you automatically lose your current place.
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

No, you keep your place provided you have accepted it until you tell them you no longer need it. Thats why there is often a bit of movement after March 1st & it takes a while, eg, Child 1 gets first choice of School A but then takes up an indie place, so Child 2 who got School B but was next on waiting list now gets a place at School A, meaning their place at School B is now available for the next on the waiting list, and so on :D
Its worth going on waiting lists, it won't harm anything, & the further along the process you get, more opportunities might come along - some people may have got used to their given school & come of waiting list, etc.
HTH
Starmum
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

So Can I ask ...If I accept a Greenwich Borough school now (deadline 16th mar)
and then a Grammar school offers place in 2 weeks time; can I accept ? Or do I have take on the Greenwich borough school?
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

I would recommend that you accept the Greenwich school as you are then sure of a place there whatever happens. If you do get offered a grammar place in the future, you can then accept that and cancel your Greenwich school. However if you don't accept that Greenwich school and you are unlucky enough not to get offered a grammar school place later, Greenwich will offer you which ever school is left with a space, ie not likely to be a very popular school.

Hope that makes sense, and good luck with your grammar school wait.
Torty

Post by Torty »

Can you accept the school allocated now to safeguard a place and turn it down in September if another choice is made then?
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

Torty wrote:Can you accept the school allocated now to safeguard a place and turn it down in September if another choice is made then?
Yes that is the best thing to do.
SqMandes

Post by SqMandes »

Does anyone know the cut off distance for Chis and Sid this year? Also - is there a good website for calculating distances from school?
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

Just got offer via waiting list from chis and sidcup and we 6.1 miles away