How do you recheck or remark papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
QUEENMA

How do you recheck or remark papers?

Post by QUEENMA »

Dear All

First of all Congratulations to everyone -whether or not you got your preference - the journey itself is worth appreciating !
Happy to say that DD has been offered a place at Nonsuch - Iam very very pleased but she is a bit disappointed as she was hoping to get into Tiffins and in all honesty ,I thought she would !

1) Her Verbal and NV score for Nonsuch was 246.So I was hoping that even if she did as well in Tiffins,she would get in

2) She had reported that she found the Tiffins exam a lot easier than Nonsuch ! She finished both papers in time and had time to check them.But she has got only 230 for Tiffins.

3) She told me that for the Tiffins papers, she identified certain mistakes and corrected them and here is where my question comes in - is it possible that she did not do the corrections properly ? Is that where she may have lost marks ? Is there a process for rechecking / remarking the papers ? How do I get this done ? Is it via appeals ? Apart from this doubt ,I do not have any other reason to appeal.

All help greatly appreciated !

Queenma
stressedparent

Re: How do you recheck or remark papers?

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Queenma,

Hi,
I am happy for you that your DD got an offer from Nonsuch but I am equally sorry to hear that you did not get your first choice, as you are aware, these papers are computer marked and checked manually afterwards, the 16 points difference between both scores may only be 5 or six questions in total, 3 in VR and 3 in NVR, every question equates to approximately 2.5 standardised marks, a lot hinges on her monthly born cohort and their performance on the day, this has an impact on average raw score which is used for standardisation within that group. Nonsuch is a very good school and on par with Tiffins. I have pasted a link below that you might find very helpful, all the best.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=24060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stressedparent
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think that Bucks is unique in allowing parents to see papers but not 100% sure if Tiffin does the same thing.

You can appeal for Tiffin as you would have nothing to lose, but I think Tiffin appeals are harder to win.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

You can appeal and would then gain access to the papers or be able to get a manual remark.

Errors have been made in the past and were subsequently re-adjusted; a mistake I'm sure they have tried the best to avoid happening again.

Good luck, whatever the outcome

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
bugsbunny

Post by bugsbunny »

There is no denying that you can appeal. However think of it this...you mentioned she got some mistakes and then cirrected. Fine they could have been corrected right. My next question to you will be ...whatabout the rest that she were right but when chked incorrect. My point is every exam is different...

Good luck if you decide to appeal.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

You do not need to appeal to get a re-mark. Simply ring the admissions lady and request a re-mark. It will be done by hand by 2 people and you will hear the result the next day. It is however unlikely the mark will change.

You will not get access to the paper, although if you appeal you will find out the marks for specific question types.

I understand that all papers near the cut-off are manually checked as a matter of course.

Great news about Nonsuch - it is a wonderful school.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Queenma

I was very sad to hear that your dd was not awarded your 1st choice school and following her high scores in the Nonsuch exam, it was a surprise. Good luck with your re-mark, but if things do stay the same, I'm sure she will settle wonderfully at Nonsuch.

Laretta x
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Dear all and laretta (because we have been more in touch !)

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, Nonsuch is a lovely school - and Iam very very pleased she has been offered a place there.

However DD had her heart set on Tiffins and I want to round off any posiibilities...as you said rightly laretta,given her nonsuch scores and what she was doing at home and school , I was a bit surprised she did not meet the tiffins cutoff - but then ofcourse, you can never tell....

Thanks again for your suggestions - I will speak with the Tiffins admissions lady.

Queenma
mariar

Post by mariar »

Hi there.

I just wanted to ask if you have received any feedback from Tiffins regarding the remark of the exam? We asked for that last Monday and still no answer.

We are in a similar case, I think. Our dd passed Langley but didn't passed Tiffins. She has had very good scores in VR in the other two tests that she did but in Tiffins she had better score in NVR than in VR. Maybe things are no going to change but at least I just want to be sure that there's no mistake in her scores.
confusedmum6

Post by confusedmum6 »

Tiffin Girls have confirmed that letter is going out next week (probably Wednesday) with the re-marked scores.