late application to crags

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2nd choice

late application to crags

Post by 2nd choice »

Firstly, apologies if this question offends anyone. I am trying to work my way through to finding the absolute best option for my DS.
Originally placed Kegs and Westcliff on application followed by local comprehensive. DS allocated Westcliff with score of 350.725.
Can I contact CSSE/Admissions to ask for my son to be put on CRGS waiting list at this late stage, and if I do will he be placed on list corresponding to his score?
My justification for this late change of mind is that we are roughly equidistant to Westcliff and CRGS, but on directroute for bus to Westcliff, hence original choices. However, job changes now mean that I am able to deliver and collect him to bus stop for CRGS.
Thanks
kaynor

Re: late application to crags

Post by kaynor »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=24716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ring up Essex/CSSE and find out options/procedure
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Hi,

I think your DS should be in the border with that score. The nearest one i found is which is very close to your DS rank. You can work out the waitlist for KEGS approximately.

Every parent would wish the best for their child, Honestly if you are allowed to wait list in CRGS, my DS chances would go down, i am approximately 9 on the wait list as it was our first choice.

I do not know what to tell, but it is sounds very unfair, as people who from the start who opted for these schools are pushed back in the waiting list just because some one else comes in between.

Please no offence, nothing personnel. I think you will feel the same if someone who got a score above your DS and did not choose KEGS as a choice would come in between your child chance of a place. A child who got rank 100 in KEGS but was offered Westcliff because it was his first choice, would be an example.

Again it is not about anyone, it is what we do best for our DC. Anyway all the best. Just being honest with my thoughts as if you are allowed it will push back my DS chances.
Last edited by Suresh on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Yes it is close............sure 2nd choice is just exploring all options :)
2nd choice

Post by 2nd choice »

yes, sorry Suresh. I would feel exactly the same. It is very difficult for all of us when dc didn't get their choice. I am not sure about waiting position for kegs. last offer, via info from here was somewhere between 156 and 167. we are 173 - so it will be very touch and go. I'm sure you understand we all just try to make the right choice for our dc. Good luck.
rastacat

Post by rastacat »

Hi

See the Topic "Essex Waiting List Criteria" started on 17 March, 2011 by cntrymum. I believe there was a ruling that late applicants cannot be penalised on the waiting lists and are positioned according to score. Good luck !
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

2nd choice, if you look in the 2012 scores thread, I think you will find that some with scores lower than yours got in - See Sep18's post on page 2 of the thread, who got in with 341.847.

That sounds lower than you in which case your DS would be at the top of the waiting list. A call to Essex CC should confirm. It is tough for others who then get bounced down the list but if you had applied first time around they would have been lower and at least someone in Westcliff will be happy
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

Hi Mrs.B,

I am definitely one of the parents who come out openly of the heart burn. My DS who is on the waiting list will be bumped down. It is not a person i blame, it is the system which i object, as every parent tries to do what is best for their child.

What i feel personally is we all make choices keeping all our options, circumstances and all other things before we put it on the CAF form. I made my choices accordingly , that is though i live next door to CRGS, if my DS has to go to WHSB we have decided to move.

I think in these instances Comp Schools have more justification than the GS, as you cannot go to them ans say had i moved there i would have a place, so put me on the list. You have to be in the catchment and follow so many other rules. Part of the housing market survives on that in this country marketing the best comp schools.

just a thought (trying to pacify myself). A child who is very good academically who has not written in 11+, suddenly decides after seeing his friends getting a place, decides to 11+ now, would the CSSE allow him write the test now. I think the CSSE would tell them you should have done it when you should have before the cut off time.

I know it is the system, as last year someone won a place based on these rules as Essex follows differently from Southend and other counties.

As these parents challenged the Essex Council, someone should challenge the whole Education system, and if i am the one to do that i will. I know definitely what i am up against, but someone should make a point. I may be wrong but the system put me and 2ndchoice in that situation. we both the two different sides of one same coin.

Hope some one agrees with me. Yes it is heartburn, but i am upset at the system. Just being honest.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I think this is such a difficult situation. I agree Suresh, if I were in your position I would be extremely frustrated with the system in place. However, whilst the system is in place I can understand why 2nd choice would want to take advantage of it. Two good parents just trying to do the best for their children.

I also think the system should change and I wonder if it will when the Chelmsford and Southend grammars change their admission policies. Good luck to you both and I really hope you both get the schools you want for your DCs.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Going forward, Essex parents will have six choices on their CAF instead of four. I think this will go a long way to addressing this issue. When only four choices were available, most parents couldn't realistically put more than two GS on the form. Two spaces were needed for the preferred comp and the catchment comp. The furthest GS tended to get left off the form. This will no longer be the case and the need to be added to the waiting list of a previously unapplied for school will diminish.

Everyone is just doing the best for their DC. Good luck to you all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now