SOLIHULL, Tysley, Yardley,Hodge Hill, SUTTON GRAMMAR TRAVEL

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

solihull-sutton

SOLIHULL, Tysley, Yardley,Hodge Hill, SUTTON GRAMMAR TRAVEL

Post by solihull-sutton »

Hi All Successful Sutton Grammar School Parents,

If you are a successful Sutton Girls Grammar school parent that lives in Solihull and has just found that there are no real easy routes to the school and back, then please let me know - please PM me. I am trying to see if we can organise a successful car sharing situation to prevent our daughters from the chore of public travel from Solihull to Sutton and back which may take 1 hour 15 mins minimum. Besides being a very unsafe journey through Birmingham, due to conventional concerns and risk factors, it can take up to an hour and twent mins to 1 1/2 hours each way. I am trying to see if we can get a group of parents that can car pool or share responsibilities and make sure that the girls have a safe and secure transport arrangement given the Green Bus Company is not an option as they do not do this route. If car pooling is not a convenient option for all then a contract with a local transport company may be a convenient arrangement if we can get 4-5 girls who may be starting the school, or even at the school currently who may consider alternative travel options.

Congratulations to all who have passed and commiserations to all those that put their effort in and fell short.

Please contact me as soon as possible via PM and preferably before the Open Day at Sutton for the new girls who want to visit the school again on the 13th March 2012.

All the best,

S2S
um

Re: SOLIHULL, Tysley, Yardley,Hodge Hill, SUTTON GRAMMAR TR

Post by um »

I once knew a family in Solihull whose daughter took a minibus service to Sutton Girls.
Unfortunately I have lost contact but I imagine it is still running.
I also know of a family in Moseley who drive their daughters to SCG.

If you do manage to sort anything out please pm me as the minibus/car sharing options may be of interest to my pupils next year - as well as my own dd the year after!
solihull-sutton

Thanks Um,

I am aware of an unlicensed service that is operating and consequently I have reservations about using it. Although it may be convenient to think about using such a service, one should not lose sight of the fact that a properly insured service with a PSV licensed driver is required to make such a service legally compliant. So although tempting, God forbid in the event of an accident such a service may not be properly insured.

There is one way to get around this and that is if a group of parents got together and shared the responsibiliy but the moment you start allocating money, even if it is for just petrol, this does come under private hire leglislation. I am trying to identify if there are enough numbers from the above areas to warrant a properly administered service. Where there is a will, there is always a way. I am sure if there are enough parents who are interested then a viable, safe and legally compliant solution can be arrived at.

Will keep you posted um on progress.
Bal

Post by Bal »

Hi, our daughter has just been offered sutton girls and we are looking for other parents who can carpool or if we get enough girls together to arrange for transport. We are very interested pls email me. We are attending the open morning on the 13th. Hope to meet some parents then to discuss way forward.
solihull-sutton

Thanks Bal,

Sent you a PM then saw your posting - now that makes 2 of us which is a great start and I am sure we will be able to meet others who are living in Solihull or near by and are looking to addess this transport situation.

Where there is a will there is always a way..... so thanks for kickstarting this...I am sure there are others also.

Well, at least almost all of us have one thing in common....our daughters did not get Camp Hill! The Green Bus has plenty of pick up points for that school but I think those of us who did apply to Sutton did so in the hope that if all else fails this is still a fantastic school and ...... we will worry about the transport afterwards!

Now we are having to deal with it :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now