Homework

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
999 mum

Homework

Post by 999 mum »

hi,

I am wondering what impact this will have?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... s-scrapped" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
faitaccompli

Re: Homework

Post by faitaccompli »

Interesting they are talking about the difference at A level between 2 hours homework and more than 7 hours homework a week showing the child earned only a third of a grade higher. In the school I am hoping my son will attend (appeals permitting) they expect a MINIMUM of 18 hours a week for A level students of work in excess of class lessons. So this is clearly where the difference comes!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
workhard

Post by workhard »

Hi faitaccompli!

The 18 hours per week mentioned to you will include private study at school. Sixth Formers are expected to use their 'free' periods for prep. At many schools, especially the non-selectives, pupils struggle to adjust to becoming more independent students in this way.

WH
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Belinda wrote:When will it end?
Between my four children, concurrently, they have notched up nearly 60 years of formal education. Only another 10 or so to go... :roll:
:lol:

I would agree about the 18 hours - in year 13 for example doing only 3 A2 subjects, they generally have about 2 hours a day free, and sometimes a whole afternoon or morning, so that's at least 10 of their 18.

I would say my daughter in 6th form does at least 10 more but probably not all the frees at school are spent in quality study. That said at this stage the homework is all exam type questions to get them up to speed on their subjects.

I have not seen evidence of half an hour a night for my year 9 son, although he says he does a lot on the bus :lol: , and although some nights he has none, other nights he has quite a bit. I'm not in favour of homework for primary school children, but don't see that Mr Gove needs to legislate for older children in quite the same way, as the homework could be finishing off classwork or extension work that might prove interesting. I think he is so busy trying to change things for the sake of change that he can't see things that really need doing.