Whatever Next?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11+ Junkie

Whatever Next?

Post by 11+ Junkie »

Just a quick question. What are we going to talk about after 2 March? The date is drawing near and we are all getting a bit tetchy now and feeling that life is so unjust. If your child gets into their chosen school, you will be feeling that the system is just dandy, but if they don't you will feel it stinks.

My family are planning on going for a big meal on the Saturday after the results come out. If she gets into the school she wanted this will be a celebration. If she doesn't get in, then it will be to celebrate all those years in primary school when she has done so very very well. She got 98% on a Sats test in maths the other day, so that is DEFINITELY worth celebrating.

Remember that life in a Comprehensive isn't all that bad. Your child's life will not end when they find out that the local comp is their next school. It will go on and you will need to continue to support them. I am sure that some of you will have failed your 11+, are you still feeling that sense of failure - I doubt it.

Re: Whatever Next?

Post by Guest »

11+ Junkie wrote:Just a quick question. What are we going to talk about after 2 March? The date is drawing near and we are all getting a bit tetchy now and feeling that life is so unjust. If your child gets into their chosen school, you will be feeling that the system is just dandy, but if they don't you will feel it stinks.

My family are planning on going for a big meal on the Saturday after the results come out. If she gets into the school she wanted this will be a celebration. If she doesn't get in, then it will be to celebrate all those years in primary school when she has done so very very well. She got 98% on a Sats test in maths the other day, so that is DEFINITELY worth celebrating.

Remember that life in a Comprehensive isn't all that bad. Your child's life will not end when they find out that the local comp is their next school. It will go on and you will need to continue to support them. I am sure that some of you will have failed your 11+, are you still feeling that sense of failure - I doubt it.
You are right of course but I suspect our emotions are running high at the moment with the onset of the results and offer letters. I know that if my daughter is not successful she will do well whereever she goes - I believe that of all children who want to learn. She will be disappointed because she has set her mind on a certain school and has worked hard practicing for the 11+. Our job is to make sure that disappointment doesn't last (even if we feel the same way) and make her transition into secondary school as enjoyable as possible. It will only be talked about for a few days after hopefully - then we can all get on with the next stage!
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

That's nice to see a celebration either way.

I think a celebration of school achievments is an excellent idea.

If my daughter fails to get the girls grammar due to oversubscription, I will take her for a day out(going to see a musical) and treat her to a macdonalds.

Then it will be trying to sort out an appeal, we've come this far I'm not willing to accept defeat lightly!

Fingers crossed the latter will not be appropriate :roll:

Footymad.
HappyDays

Post by HappyDays »

I will be disappointed if my daughter doesn't get in, but then we have a back up plan which involves lots of money! We have saved for this, so if she does get into grammar we can have a big holiday instead!

We heard some weeks ago that she had got a scholarship for a private secondary school and were over the moon for her. She was walking on cloud nine - but we still went for tea and cake in Selfridges! She thought it was fabulous and felt very "posh".

If she gets into grammar I think another trip to Selfridges is on the cards, or may be a big curry somewhere. She is a fussy devil, but loves curry!
HappyDays

Post by HappyDays »

Oops - forgot to mention my son too! What an awful mother I am. Good thing he doesn't read this forum as I would never be forgiven. I have twins. They are both exceptionally bright (picture me puffed up with pride!), but my little girl just pips him at the post. It is a pity he didn't get a scholarship as there was a big scene the morning the post arrived! As you can imagine. We let him eat cake though too!!

Just try to imagine March 1st if only one of them gets into grammar school. OMG. I think I might go on a long trip somewhere.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Wow, twins - hadn't thought of that! With all the agonising ove r who opens the letter etc in other threads, had not considered those with two ( or triplets??!!!!)
PLEASE let us know what happens..
Will be thinking of you - good luck!!
Best Regards,
Thea