Advise regarding independent School at Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
blueocean

Advise regarding independent School at Birmingham

Post by blueocean »

Hello,
My DS couldn't get into a grammar school. Can any one tell me which is the best independent school in Birmingham
apart from KES ,
with regards
Last edited by blueocean on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KenR

Re: Advise regarding independent School at Birmingham

Post by KenR »

After KES probably the best is Solihull School
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'd agree with that.

In B'ham itself, I believe your options are St Georges, Highclare and Priory, all of which I think you already know about.

Further afield there are places like King Henry VIII and Bablake in Coventry, Warwick School and Wolverhampton Grammar, and probably a shedload of less well known ones. There's also Bromsgrove but I have mixed feelings about that one.

Mike
superdad

Post by superdad »

Try King Henry VIII in coventry. Excellent school. My DS travels by train from fiveways to new street and then straight to Coventry. The train station is opposite the school so the school run is not so bad.

Look on their website. The school is improving and has a good reputation. Very good Maths and Science departments. A variety of extra curriculum activities.

My DS failed to get into a grammar school and indie 2 years ago then applied to KHVIII early march. Had a short test and was ordered a place. He is now flourishing in the school and made lots of friends.

I would definately look into this school.
Farooq

Post by Farooq »

Hi

Firstly, commiserations - I am very sure that you did your level best and that's what counts! - so take pride in that.

I would also agree with all the comments made above. My DS used to attend Priory school, but only at the weekends for an hour long session at the lodge ( for revision etc)... I have high regards for the school itself - however that may well be subjective as I haven't actually checked the league tables etc. Needless to say it doesn't come cheap. Facilities there are pretty good - extensive grounds at the back and the classes seemed very well equipped. You might like to book an appointment. Incidentally and I dare I say it might be a little late - they have an entrance exam this week. I came across the following (copied from their website):

DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND

Year 7 Entrance Examination

Tuesday 6th March 2012 at 10am

Please contact Frankie Jaffey for more details

WHOLE SCHOOL OPEN MORNING

Saturday 10th March 10am - 12.30pm
0121 440 4103

Hope it helps and BEST of LUCK! :)
best regards

Farooq

(In the field of observation, chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur)
twinsmom11

Post by twinsmom11 »

Hi we are also in a similar situation in choosing between two indies. Given a choice of Solihull or Warwick School indies, which one do you say is the right one? Looking at the league tables, warwick seems to be the best school comparitevely. Having failed to secure a place in any grammers, we are thinking to send our DS to one of these. As we live in Birmingham, it is either 2 bus changes to solihul or a bus+train to Warwick. Not sure how many do commute to warwick daily but it will be nice to know the options available.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi twinsmom it isn't just the daily commute, it is the picking them up if they stay late, going to parents evenings, dropping them off at friends. I suspect that Solihull is nearer for you ?? (I think other twin is going to a Birmingham GS)
twinsmom11

Post by twinsmom11 »

Yes you are right HM, the other twin would go to HGS so we are quite leaned towards Solihull for that matter even if that meant staying somewhere in-between the schools for easy access for both. I am only concerned leaving out Warwick option may be a bad decision at the end just because it is somewhere on the top of league tables and my DS quite liked it :(
blueocean

Post by blueocean »

Hello Twinsmom
Is your DS studying at Highclare school. how do you feel about it.
reeagards
lex

Post by lex »

Another one to consider is OSH , it is a sightly unusual set up as it a boarding school with a small number of none boarding places. It is fee paying but not anywhere near as high as a regular indie
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now