Help - House Move Decisions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WorkingMum

Help - House Move Decisions

Post by WorkingMum »

Just found this site and hoping you can help my confusion! My daughter is in Year 2 of Dorney Primary - and appears to be 11+ material according to school. However we are looking at moving house - and two options are on the cards - one in Burnham - hence catchment for Burnham Grammar , and Beaconsfield High (if they take from that distance in the relevant year), and the other in Eton Wick (Windsor school catchment). My question is this - if we opted for Eton Wick could she still go to one of the Grammar schools - Burnham, or what about Herschel in Slough? Does living in a different borough adversly affect her chances? We aren't keen on the Windsor system - as Dorney is a really good school, and Windsor runs the middle school system - so changing over may be hard.
Most grateful for any advice you can offer - seems a long way away - but we don't want to move again in 4 years!
Thanks in advance!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's very hard to 'second guess' how far away will be OK - you can see the distances on this year's allocation on:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... 1902924256

It is probably worth looking at the Secondary Admissions booklet on:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =987793428

You also need to think about which school you might be allocated if 11+ qualifying is not achieved ...

I can only comment on Bucks ...
Catherine

Re: Help - House Move Decisions

Post by Catherine »

The school places in Bucks are allocated strictly on distance to the school, so moving to Eton Wick would be risky regarding Bucks grammars.
By opposition, the Slough grtammars allocate places according to the 11+ score only. The distance to the school is irrelevant.
My advice would be to move to Bucks, and also try for the Slough schools.
Be careful with Bucks though, some schools are oversubscrbed, even for children from the catchment. (Seel links from Guest55) It is not the case for Burnham though.

I am also going to reiterate over Guest5'5s advice: Check the secondary's and make sure that you have a good fall-back option. Things don't always turn out as expected, even with bright kids!

Best of luck.

Catherine
still trying to decide

Post by still trying to decide »

Can I ask what you don't like about the Windsor system?

Post by Guest »

I know nothing about the Windsor system but in her own words,
Dorney is a really good school, and Windsor runs the middle school system - so changing over may be hard.
Waddle

House move

Post by Waddle »

My advice would be to definitely move to Burnham - you can have a go at three systems! Bucks 11+ for Burnham Grammar (who are currently advertising for a new Head, which could mean sweeping changes before it's your daughter's turn), and the Slough 11+ for Herschel (which is currently very popular, and rightly so). Your 'fall back' option is also very good - the Maidenhead comprehensive system, with some excellent schools.

Now all you have to find is the right house!

Post by Guest »

I'd also say go for Burnham.
I'm in the sixth form at Beaconsfield high but was at Burnham Grammar from years 9-11, although I loved my time at Burnham Grammar it did not offer the subjects and extra curricular activities that I wanted for the sixth form.
If you move to Burnham your daughter could go to Burnham Grammar or Beaconsfield High but beware people from Burnham are being turned away more often for Beaconsfield High because they are so oversubscribed, so you could choose somewhere closer to Beaconsfield if you are set on the Bucks Grammar schools for example Farnham Common, where it is Burnham Grammar and Beaconsfield High catchment.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I'd also say go for Burnham.
I'm in the sixth form at Beaconsfield high but was at Burnham Grammar from years 9-11, although I loved my time at Burnham Grammar it did not offer the subjects and extra curricular activities that I wanted for the sixth form.
If you move to Burnham your daughter could go to Burnham Grammar or Beaconsfield High but beware people from Burnham are being turned away more often for Beaconsfield High because they are so oversubscribed, so you could choose somewhere closer to Beaconsfield if you are set on the Bucks Grammar schools for example Farnham Common, where it is Burnham Grammar and Beaconsfield High catchment.
Could I ask whereabouts you live? We are in Iver Heath which is (ha ha) in catchment for Beconsfield High - in reality there is absolutely ZERO chance of getting in from here.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Could I ask whereabouts you live? We are in Iver Heath which is (ha ha) in catchment for Beconsfield High - in reality there is absolutely ZERO chance of getting in from here.
Hi neighbour. :D
I have neve heard of Iver heath in catchment for Beaconsfield high though..

About Burnham, I assume that you all have read the thread about it...

Post by Guest »

Catherine wrote:
Hi neighbour. :D
I have neve heard of Iver heath in catchment for Beaconsfield high though..

About Burnham, I assume that you all have read the thread about it...
Hi Catherine,

Check out http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/get/asset ... rammar.pdf

and if you are in Iver Heath or thereabouts, put your postcode into the postcode checker http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/admis ... hecker.asp

If you look at the allocation profile for Beccy High you see they only offered some in area girls up to 5.9 miles

It is just a cruel joke really. Imagine if you bougt a house hear thinking catchment meant you had a real chance. One of our very near neighbours is moving specifically so that their daughter has a real chance of getting into Beccy High.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now