Bittersweet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elbart

Bittersweet

Post by Elbart »

Sorry I have not been here for a while but it's been a hard few months.

My DS2 has had a tough time - he lost his Grandfather in September last year, just before the commencement of the 11+ exams, and in February lost his Uncle to cancer. I'm sure all this had impacted him greatly. He must have been courageous and did his best throughout this upsetting time.

I would like to wish all of you who have gained a place at Grammar / Independent Schools - Umsusu, JaneEyre, Ok1, Um, Anxious_mother, Poppit, Twinsmom11, BaccHus25, Turtlegirl, Kegs Mom 3, Sasa, Busybees, Swim Science Mum, Sky111, sbh, dk, Farooq....... and any other I have forgotten, the best of luck.

............and commiserations to those that were unsuccessful - KE Hopeful, Reeyah, Marma to name a few. You know that they will do well wherever their journey takes them, they have just taken a different route there.

My DS2 got Bishop Vesey and is very happy indeed - he said he did not want to go with DS1 to KEA, although he is 15th on the waiting list (he got 215 and the KEA pass mark is 216 – please update KenR), but I think they are better off separate as I know that DS2 will come home crying when DS1 picks on him :(

Somehow I can't enjoy the moment but I am grateful of the outcome.

Elbart
reeyah

Re: Bittersweet

Post by reeyah »

Elbart, what a brave boy your DS has been. The last few months must have been horrendous. The fact that he has still managed to succeed, is amazing!

Good luck to your DS at BV. I'm sure he will be happy there :)
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

It sounds as though you have had a very hard time recently.
Try and enjoy the moment for what you can, I hope that in time you can come to enjoy the euphoria of having both your DS's in good schools and having all the 11+ over with (unless you have any more?)
I am sure your DS will be happy at his school. :)
Vic x
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hello Elbart, :D

It is always nice to read some forum users who we haven’t read about for a while... All my deepest sympathy, as I know all the emotions you are going through: some days, you feel better (especially when opening the LEA letter with fantastic news for your DS! :wink: ); some days, you are in tears... :cry: :cry:

You should REALLY be proud of your DS! :D :D :D Getting a place in a grammar is NOT easy due to the harsh competition... and in the circumstances in which your darling had to work, that’s absolutely wonderful and shows its great determination and seriousness! :D :D :D

Your story brings to my mind these few verses of a poem by Kipling that I like particularly (title : If):
[...]
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

[...]
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

So your DS is becoming a great man... :D :D Be proud of him!!!

I don’t know if he knows that you go from time to time on this forum. But if he does, tell him that ‘auntie JaneEyre’ is giving him an accolade and a big hug to congratulate him. I am sorry, I can’t give him a decoration... or Hermanmunster will tell me off for puttin g an image here :wink: !

There are a few titles on which I stumbled when looking for books about death for my DS (nobody died recently in our family, but I think that all children should have time to think about this issue). Frankly, I have absolutely NO IDEA if these books could be an interesting and helpful read for your DS, but you could check if they could help him in his mourning process:
Water Bugs and Dragonfiles: Explaining Death to Young Children (Looking Up) by Doris Stickney (Paperback - Feb 2004) It is for young children but that might still be useful. Personlly, I still like infants books :shock:
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher(Paperback - 29 Sep 2011)

If you feel that you need help, there are some charities dealing with mourning... and you know that all your EPP friends are here to cheer you up!! :D So don't stay too far for too long from us!! :wink:

JaneEyre

PS... I was forgetting to say something!!! :shock: :shock: BV is an amazing school!!! By your DS already knows that! :lol: :lol: God bless him!
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

JaneEyre,

That's a very nice of you - love the poem and so right.

Will have to be strong now and work with DD1 for 2014 entry - not looking forward to it though.

KegsMom3 - thank you for PM and sympathetic ear.

Elbart
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Many Many Thanks Elbart,
Congrats and Good luck to you and DS.
Farooq

Post by Farooq »

Thanks very much for the spirit of goodwill Elbart and very sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations.

Congrats to your son and no doubt we shall be bumping into each another at BVGS. I believe there is an open day tomorrow (7th March 2012) at 0915am. My wife will be with our DS as I can't take time off from work.

Best regards and wishes.
best regards

Farooq

(In the field of observation, chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur)
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Thank you all for your goodwill.

DS2 did do really well in all his exams (Warwickshire, Queen Mary's, Handsworth) as he would have gained entry for all of them - he even got a letter from Handsworth offering him a place eventhough they acknowledged he did not put them on the LEA preference list....that was nice of them. So hat's off to him for a job well done.

Farooq, I did attend the open morning at BV on Wednesday and still think it's a great school and my DS2 will really enjoy it. You never know, your DS and my DS2 may become the best of friends. :)

Elbart
poppit

Post by poppit »

Elbart

Thank you for your generous thoughts.

You must have had to draw deeply on your inner strength to be able to focus and provide encouragement to your DS whilst your whole family experienced such sadness. I can only imagine how exhausting that was when you are in mourning too. Well done and warm wishes to you both.

poppit