Reserve Lists and Oversubscription Appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stocky

Reserve Lists and Oversubscription Appeals

Post by Stocky »

I'm sure I have seen this somewhere but can't find the thread. Am I right in thinking that your position on the schools reserve list is irrelevant in an oversubscription appeal. So for example someone at position 8 who is able to demonstrate a strong argument could be offered a place on appeal over someone at position 1 with a weaker argument? Thanks again!
Stocky

Re: Reserve Lists and Oversubscription Appeals

Post by Stocky »

And I guess what I am also trying to say is that your position on the reserve list is not a real argument i.e. we have just lost out etc?? I assume wherever you are on the list top or bottom you have to put a strong case forward. Thanks
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You are correct Stocky.

It doesn't matter where you are on the waiting list, if you can provide a strong (and better) argument on an oversubscription appeal (ie: your reasons for your child needing to attend that school) then you will be allocated a place over and above anyone else on the waiting list.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So for example someone at position 8 who is able to demonstrate a strong argument could be offered a place on appeal over someone at position 1 with a weaker argument? Thanks again!
And I guess what I am also trying to say is that your position on the reserve list is not a real argument i.e. we have just lost out etc?? I assume wherever you are on the list top or bottom you have to put a strong case forward. Thanks
Yes and yes!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Thanks both. I think I am going mad :lol:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

In order to be on the waiting list (in Gloucestershire at least) a child must have passed the test. It's entirely possible for a child who didn't pass to win an appeal - they have to argue against both oversubscription AND non-qualification, but with superb mitigating circumstances it can be done - even leaping over the child who was at position 1 on the waiting list.
Capers
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Thanks yes, I realised that, but I guess they would need the strong academic argument and then also strong oversubscription argument - so have to win on both points to get a place?
scaredkentmum

Post by scaredkentmum »

I spoke to a school in West Kent yesterday and they agreed with capers and told me that if you win the appeal you jump the whole waiting list and get a place straight away. So you obviously need a strong case but at least you dont then have to go on a waiting list.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

That doesn't make sense, I thought non qualification and oversubscription were 2 different things. So if you argue non qualification on the grounds of academic ability and win for an oversubscribed school, surely you then have to argue the oversubscription part like everyone else who has qualified?????
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

capers says they have to argue 'non qualification' AND 'oversubscription', which are completely different, non qualification is proving academic ability, oversubscription is proving that your child will be prejudiced by not going to THAT school, so if they succeed in BOTH they will naturally get a place, but they have to argue both. The people who have already passed don't have to prove the qualification bit but have to argue the oversubscription bit. I'm sure I have seen a thread on this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now