Journalist's request

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

footballmum

Journalist's request

Post by footballmum »

Hi

I'm a journalist for a well-known series of weekly newspapers in Essex. We are planning a feature on the Essex 11-plus and am looking to talk to families who have been through the process this year. The aim of the article is to explain to readers who unfamiliar with the system how it works. We feel it is particularly topical this year due to the impending catchment changes.

If anyone feels they would like to go public with their experience of the process, then please PM me, including your phone number and I will call you straight back and answer any queries. You would need to be willing to have your name, child's name, and possibly a photograph, in the newspaper.

Thank you

PS I have gained authorisation from the ElevenPlusExams HQ to do this before posting.
aang

Re: Journalist's request

Post by aang »

Slightly off-topic so apologies in advance.

It seems that the 2012 verbal reasoning (VR) paper was for some reason different or harder than previous years, with the marks coming in much lower than previous years (the format has remained the same as far as I am aware). Some parents expressed their surprise when the scores came back 20% lower than practice VR papers. The Essex VR paper is not available to the public so many parents are extremely puzzled about why their child has not done as well as expected in the VR paper. It would be much appreciated if some clarity on this could be provided by the CSSE office or a knowledgeable Headteacher/Teacher on this. Maybe there is a story here which you can help reveal...
toolate

Post by toolate »

I would check out the London to Colchester thread for the real news story - showing how lucky Essex residents are...
mad?

Post by mad? »

toolate wrote:I would check out the London to Colchester thread for the real news story - showing how lucky Essex residents are...
indeed!
mad?
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tick Tock!!

Post by Tick Tock!! »

toolate wrote:I would check out the London to Colchester thread for the real news story - showing how lucky Essex residents are...
I would third that one! Shocking!
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

I would fourth (is that even a word :lol: ) that. My heart breaks for that poor little girl as my gut feeling is that the parents will send their daughter on this horrendous commute - grammar education at any cost to the child :shock:
Clarabelle
footballmum

Post by footballmum »

Many thanks to the people who have PM-ed me - you have been a great help.

We are still looking for someone who lives in mid-Essex: Chelmsford, Braintree, Witham areas; and also Brentwood, to talk to. Did your DC get their first choice or are they disappointed? Do you have a view on the proposed changes to catchment areas?

Thanks also for the points raised on this post. To highlight them we could need someone to say it 'on the record', so please PM me.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Essex 11+ appeals - just a thought worth consideration but why do so few people actually succeed here? Now I don't know any figures but forum member Dutchy005 was the first successful appeal in 12 years for CRGS I believe. I think KEGS have had the odd 1 or 2 but don't know about ChCHSG or ColCHSG or the Southend schools. Why are so few successful? Are there no acceptable mitigating circumstances? Like I said just a thought to consider...
Clarabelle
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

footballmum wrote:Hi

I'm a journalist for a well-known series of weekly newspapers in Essex. We are planning a feature on the Essex 11-plus and am looking to talk to families who have been through the process this year. The aim of the article is to explain to readers who unfamiliar with the system how it works. We feel it is particularly topical this year due to the impending catchment changes.
Is this related to the article published today? If so, it failed to meet its own brief. The article demonstrated the same disregard for English grammar as the original post, though! :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now