How does waiting list works???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

busybees

How does waiting list works???

Post by busybees »

Someone posted that the cut off score for KECH was 334 and KEFW was 225.

Can someone please explain how does the waiting list works as my DS missed out on CH, he got five ways.

Many Thanks in advance.
um

Re: How does waiting list works???

Post by um »

I think that would be 234 and 225.
Last year's 'last' score for CH and FW was 232 and 222 so these scores have increased.

You would need to call the admissions office to find out your child's score and position on any waiting list for a higher-preference school. A child on the waiting list will remain on the waiting list until September.
If parents want them to remain on a waiting list after that (which is rare) they would need to contact the office/school again.
still hopeful?

Post by still hopeful? »

I think the question on how waiting lists work is still a good one. Or more specifically can anybody share experience on how KEG waiting lists have worked in previous years? Questions I have are:

When do things 'happen' - is there a lot of sudden movement after two weeks (15th March)? At any other time? Is there a point (waiting list position or date) at which experience suggests you 'call it a day'?
If there is movement and your child gets to the top of the waiting list - how will you hear about it?
If somebody appeals and wins, do they automatically go to the top of the waiting list i.e. put your child at previous position - 1?
Can your position on the waiting lit go down as well as up? If so, how do you know where you are at any point in time? is it a case of ringing the office and asking for an updated letter?
I know the schools offer more than they expect to take, what number on the waiting list haave historically managed to get in?

I suppose my real question is that my DS got 214 when the 'score of last child' at KEAST is 216. He is on the waiting list at position 26.
Historically, can I expect him to get a place from this position or should I forget it?
Is there any point in appealing?

I've scoured this forum on the question of appeals but I've got bogged down and I don't know what specifically applies to the Birmingham KEG schools.

Any shared experience / advice / links appreciated.
still hopeful?

Post by still hopeful? »

... also, does anybody know for the KEG's how many offers over PAN have been made this year?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

still hopeful? wrote:If somebody appeals and wins, do they automatically go to the top of the waiting list i.e. put your child at previous position - 1?
No, they’re given a place. If that puts the school over PAN they can’t offer any more places until they drop below again.
still hopeful? wrote:If there is movement and your child gets to the top of the waiting list - how will you hear about it?
You won’t hear about changes to the waiting list unless/until they can offer you a place. If you want to know where on the list you are at a given time, you’ll need to call them.
still hopeful? wrote:Can your position on the waiting lit go down as well as up? If so, how do you know where you are at any point in time? is it a case of ringing the office and asking for an updated letter?
Unfortunately, yes, if someone comes onto the waiting list with a higher score than your child they’ll be higher on the waiting list. That could be a late application from someone moving into the area, or (apparently) someone simply changing their mind (although imho that shouldn’t be permitted). We had some discussions a couple of years ago about someone who’d put BV as their first choice and been offered it, but changed their minds after offer day and asked to go on the waiting list for one of the KEs. And no, you won’t hear that it’s happened unless you call them to ask your position.
still hopeful? wrote:Is there a point (waiting list position or date) at which experience suggests you 'call it a day'?
Theoretically, end of the first term if I remember correctly (I think after that the in-year applications process takes over but I may have my timings wrong); but more realistically, once appeals start being heard.

If a successful appeal means the school goes over PAN they can’t offer any places off the waiting list until/unless it drops below. In most areas, there is little or no hope of getting a place off the waiting list after appeals start because of this. Very few appeals for KE places are successful so that wouldn’t make much difference, EXCEPT that before the appeals hearings start at least some KE schools phone anyone they know is holding more than one place to try and get them to come to a decision so they can make as many offers from the waiting list as possible. I imagine that’s possibly when there’s most movement on the list. (Most parents who are holding more than one place will, I hope, try to make their minds up and release one of them at the very latest before induction days take place, but appeals take place before that.)

However, there was a boy in our son’s form (Sep 09) who simply didn’t turn up on the day and on enquiry was found to have gone elsewhere. The school rang the parents of the boy first on the waiting list, they rushed out and got him from his allocated school, bought a uniform and he was in school by lunchtime.

Mike
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

I have been told by the KE office that you cannot make a late application. We hadn't put KE Aston and BV ( he would have got a place if we had! :roll:) on the form and now it can only be considered by Appeal.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You can make a late application if you're moving into the area. But I assume the one you mean is the person who was offered BV but wanted a KE? I believe they had it on their form as a lower preference. To me it seemed entirely unjust that they were able to do that (basically like allowing them to make a second application) but when I looked at the various rules I coudn't see anything to prevent it. I hope there's something in place now but I haven't looked. I believe Solihull allows you to change the order of your preferences until about January (presumably until they do first pass allocations) which I think is probably more justified.

Mike
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Yes that does seem unfair if BV was further up the form initially.

However, I was selfishly talking about our own case :wink: We hadn't even considered KEAS as it meant too much commuting. Since then we have a business near there and DH can drop off. Gutted that I hadn't put it on the form as DS is only 2 points away. Admittedly, chances of a place are slim but I do know two years a girl with the same diagnosis won her Appeal and was given a place at KE Handsworth. I have my fingers and toes crossed!
KenR

Post by KenR »

I have been told by the KE office that you cannot make a late application. We hadn't put KE Aston and BV ( he would have got a place if we had! ) on the form and now it can only be considered by Appeal
I don't think that is correct, you can make late applications but only in situations where you were unable to include a school in your PAF form because of limited choices (e.g. if you live in Wortcs you only have 3 choices and 1 must be the local catchment comp)

We have a couple of situations like this in previous years and Worcs changed the PAF preferences to accommodate and B/Ham LEA and KE foundations were forced to accept this as a late applicant. In that case I think it's only fair.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

KenR, thanks for the info. Must admit the lady didn't actually ask WHY I hadn't put those choices down. So, indeed, I could have moved into the area.

In our case though,being from Birmingham already, we wouldn't be able to :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now