NLCS ethnic mix

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
londonmum35

NLCS ethnic mix

Post by londonmum35 »

Can anyone advice on the ethnic mix at NLCS? We have now accepted an offer, and we didn't really pay much attention to this when considering, but just giving it some thought now. Is it well-mixed and free of ghettoism / racial tensions? From the brochure is looks majority white with some other ethnic backgrounds - is this the case? (We are of ethnic background). Also, is it difficult to make friends when there are so many moving up from prep school...I know they mix up their prep school kids but imagine there would still be some sticking together, reducing the pool of girls who are looking for a friend? Thanks!
Ellie

Re: NLCS ethnic mix

Post by Ellie »

I am not seeking to be controversial but it is unclear why after you have accepted a place at NLCS that you are raising questions about ethnicity of pupils and whether racial tensions and ghettoes exist. The school provides the children with an outstanding education and there will be many new girls starting in year 7 and I am sure that your daughter will make friends.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I cannot comment on NLCS but the dd of a close friend went to St Albans High School where 50% of the places go to preps. She struggled with it. They had known each other since they were 4 , the mothers were all great friends and in established school runs and she did find it hard to break in. Barnetdad might have some comments to make. DG
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

Hi Ellie,

Sorry, I also did not mean to be controversial and apologise if I came across that way. We chose nlcs for the outstanding educaton, although it came as a last minute decision skewed by the receipt of a scholarship so I suppose I did not know as much about the school as I should have - and there was a lot of family pressure to choose nlcs over hbs and I went along with it.

I suppose I am remembering my own school days, as the only asian in an all-white independent school. They were the best days of my life (hence it didn't come too much into consideration when choosing nlcs) and still those friends are my very good friends now over 20 years on, but I do remember difficult times, esp around 6th form, owing to the fact I came from a strict faith background - it was hard when all my friends were going out with boys etc and I was rather left out. I know it's not like that now in many schools (ie only one asian), and I did feel that nlcs was reasonably mixed when walking around, just wondering if my dd will experience much of the same feeling and whether hbs would have been easier on her in this respect. Better not to look back after making decisions though I guess, it's just a bad habit that I have!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Sorry OP. I'm having a giggle here that you didn't notice.
NLCS is about 1/3 Asain, 1/3 Jewish and the remainder are plain vanilla and Afro- Carribean. No engineering- it's just who sits. The most common surname is Shah (at least one per class!).
As for the junior school girls coming up... they are so sick of the sight of eachother after 4-7 years together that the new girls are swamped with love. Honestly, my DD couldn't wait to meet the new girls. It was like a friendship candy store! Her mates are now majority new girls.
Look out for the Garba in September and every parents' evening is samosas, tikka on a stick and bhajis. If you don't touch alcohol or sell raffle tickets (not sure whether you are Muslim, Hindu, Sikh or Jain- DD has friends who are all of these faiths plus Shinto and Buddist) you just need to tell the Guild and they'll never ask you to do it if you volunteer at the school. The downside for us is that DD can now sware in Punjabi.
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

Thanks Shootmenow. Sounds like, as usual, I was worrying for nothing. :)
coffeemorning

Post by coffeemorning »

Daogroupie wrote:I cannot comment on NLCS but the dd of a close friend went to St Albans High School where 50% of the places go to preps. She struggled with it. They had known each other since they were 4 , the mothers were all great friends and in established school runs and she did find it hard to break in. Barnetdad might have some comments to make. DG
This is not our experience at all. DD joined St Albans High School Y7 last september. Half her friends are from the prep, most get the coach and she has 'broken in'. I thought I would give a view from a current parent to all those who have chosen St Albans High School for next september.
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

I'm sure you're worrying over nothing! I asked a yr7 giving a tour about whether she kept her same group of friends and she said no. And I believed her. Plenty of Asians, too! Is your dd particularly keen to join in any clubs/sports/music groups? Will she take the coach? All of these make it hard to remain an island...
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

Thanks BarnetDad, yes she will take the coach and will be keen to join clubs. She'll be fine from the sounds of things, I'm just too much of a worrier, it didn't help having to choose between two such brilliant schools, whichever we'd chosen I'd have spent time worrying if I should have chosen the other - I think you also had to make this choice with DD1? I've been following your posts Barnetdad, it will be really interesting to hear back from you once your second dd starts nlcs, you can give us the definitive nlcs vs HBS comparison! Good luck to your daughter too at nlcs.
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

So there are no problems with people from certain backgrounds sticking together? Asians sticking together, Jewish sticking together? I know it's bound to happen a little bit, but is it mostly a happy mix? (Shootmenow I can see your dd is happily mixing!)

I know hbs is predominantly asian so I did specifically ask the girls there (they all denied it and said they all happily played together) but I did not ask the girls at nlcs. I ask because I think I've read a couple of comments alluding to this on the forum before.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now