SHHS and Channing

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NWLondoner

SHHS and Channing

Post by NWLondoner »

DD now has offers from both, having accepted one (second choice) and then getting an offer from the other off the waitlist on deadline day! I wonder if anybody with DDs at these schools can explain their radically different Leavers Destinations lists this year? Channing school is getting great results and has a very strong culture of both nurturing and discipline but put nobody into Oxbridge or the US Ivy League in their last published list. SHHS had over 20 into that category. Even adjusting for sixth form size that seems a big differential given broadly similar A-level results and pupil catchments. Any thoughts?
workhard

Re: SHHS and Channing

Post by workhard »

Hi NWL! I take it you mean South Hampstead and Channing?

We looked at these a while back. We applied only to Channing as a back up to North London. Channing is gentler and SHHS is significantly more academic. I would say that SHHS is much closer to St Pauls's, North London, City and Habs Girls in both academic level and intensity.

If your girl is highly academic and driven, perhaps even a little tough, then SHHS; otherwise, Channing. ... Channing's web site says that 10% go on to Oxbridge; this may be an average.

At least you are in a position to make a decision! Congratulations to your DD on her offers!

WH
another mother

Post by another mother »

I have a DD at SHHS - she is the least tough girl you can imagine! SHHS has been terrific for her so far and she has grown in a quiet confidence over the past four years - so I really don't think you have to be tough to survive - she is also doing well academically, is very happy and has a lot of friends which is the best thing. I wrote a long post about it recently which you should be able to track down on a search and I'll pm you.

Channing seems to lose a large number every year at sixth form (all the NL girls schools lose some each year, and each year the ratio seems to be different - there's a lemming approach! For instance two years ago CLSG lost a lot, barely any last year, other way round with NLCS). It's also probably suffered a bit with Highgate going co-ed. I would agree that SH is more academic; it's also a tad more anarchic - in good ways! - with some individual and extremely good teachers. Both those things are likely to make it better preparation for Oxbridge in particular and other good unis. Personally I think it could be quite easy to grow out of Channing and we've seen a number of friends leave, but they are both good schools.
NWLondoner

Post by NWLondoner »

Thanks for the feedback. The most helpful feedback confirms ones hunches, which you've done. I think we can be more helpful to DD when things are tough than when things are perhaps less ambitious around them. ie Don't want to have to be pushy parents to ensure they are more driven than their daily environment in the hope that they outperfom their peers, is the way I see it. Better to be in an overall high performance environment but do it your own way... Cheers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now